Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by do...@americas.bnpparibas.com on 2011/04/25 16:34:42 UTC

trying to get new version of files from svn archive

Excuse my ignorance, I'm used to cvs.
I edited some files at the same time as a colleague, but when we realized,
he went forward, so my copies were obsolete.
Some time later, I tried to update, to get the new files, and to get his
updated version.

It reported the files changed, just as I would see in cvs:

C    A.txt

Since I wanted the new ones, I first looked for the equivalent of

cvs up -C

thinking it was:

svn up --force

but it wasn't.

So then I deleted the files (so I don't have a local copy at all) and
again:

svn up

Subversion just reports the current version number and does not try to
bring the files in as cvs would.
What am I doing wrong?

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for
the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord
with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial,
is prohibited except formal approval. The internet can not guarantee the
integrity of this message. BNP PARIBAS (and its subsidiaries) shall (will)
not therefore be liable for the message if modified. Please note that certain
functions and services for BNP Paribas may be performed by BNP Paribas RCC, Inc.

Re: trying to get new version of files from svn archive

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag dov.kruger@americas.bnpparibas.com,
am Montag, 25. April 2011 um 17:08 schrieben Sie:

> Take it as fact that I'm not interested in my version of the file.  So
> anything svn may have decided about resolving collisions is irrelevant.

Subversion can't know that until you tell it to know, using svn revert
. or something like that. See svn help for details.

> I want to get rid of my version of the file and get the one in the
> archive.  I think the reason for my confusion was that the file itself no
> longer exists.

Another easy way in yur case seems to be deleting your whole working
copy, including the .svn directories, if you don't need any of your
local changes, and simply check out a  new working copy using svn co.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning
AM-SoFT IT-Systeme - Hameln | Potsdam | Leipzig

Telefon: Potsdam: 0331-743881-0
E-Mail:  tschoening@am-soft.de
Web:     http://www.am-soft.de

AM-SoFT GmbH IT-Systeme, Konsumhof 1-5, 14482 Potsdam
Amtsgericht Potsdam HRB 21278 P, Geschäftsführer: Andreas Muchow

Re: trying to get new version of files from svn archive

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Apr 25, 2011, at 09:43, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> I tried to update, to get the new files, and to get his updated version.
>>
>> It reported the files changed, just as I would see in cvs:
>>
>> C    A.txt
>
> Ok, a conflict occurred

In fact, the current version of Subversion would have asked you at this point what you want to do -- use your version, use their version, edit the file now to resolve the conflict manually, postpone until later (behaves like what you saw above). The fact that you didn't get this prompt suggests you're using an old version of Subversion and should upgrade.

Re: trying to get new version of files from svn archive

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Ryan Schmidt wrote on Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 09:43:03 -0500:

> On Apr 25, 2011, at 09:34, dov.kruger@americas.bnpparibas.com wrote:
>
> > Subversion just reports the current version number and does not try to bring the files in as cvs would.
>
> This should indeed have brought back the current version of the file. Are you sure it did not?

If it didn't, try running 'revert' or 'resolve' (or 'resolved') first.

Re: trying to get new version of files from svn archive

Posted by do...@americas.bnpparibas.com.
Take it as fact that I'm not interested in my version of the file.  So
anything svn may have decided about resolving collisions is irrelevant.

I want to get rid of my version of the file and get the one in the
archive.  I think the reason for my confusion was that the file itself no
longer exists.

However, to clarify for everyone, we are using svn 1.6.15, which is pretty
recent under linux.

my SVN_EDITOR  is emacs.

Internet
subversion-2011a@ryandesign.com
04/25/2011 10:43 AM

Dov KRUGER
cc
users@subversion.apache.org
Subject
Re: trying to get new version of files from svn archive

On Apr 25, 2011, at 09:34, dov.kruger@americas.bnpparibas.com wrote:

> Excuse my ignorance, I'm used to cvs.

I have never used cvs, so my advice may not exactly correspond.

> I edited some files at the same time as a colleague, but when we
realized, he went forward, so my copies were obsolete.

Not necessarily. You might have made changes to different parts of the
file, which subversion would have resolved for you, in a probably proper
manner.

> Some time later, I tried to update, to get the new files, and to get his
updated version.

> It reported the files changed, just as I would see in cvs:
>
> C    A.txt

Ok, a conflict occurred, so you and he did modify similar-enough parts of
the file that subversion could not automatically merge them. You would now
usually resolve the conflict manually.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.tour.cycle.html#svn.tour.cycle.resolve

You usually do this by opening the file in an editor and picking the
correct lines from amongst those subversion has indicated in the file for
you. You can also make use of the three additional files subversion has
created (one containing the old file, one containing the new upstream
file, and one containing your version) to assist you in deciding what's
right.

> Since I wanted the new ones, I first looked for the equivalent of
>
> cvs up -C
>
> thinking it was:
>
> svn up --force
>
> but it wasn't.
>
> So then I deleted the files (so I don't have a local copy at all) and
again:

Ok, now you don't have the file at all.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Prabhu Gnana Sundar <pr...@collab.net>.
Is your .svn directory available or that too is deleted ?

which version of svn are you using ?

Prabhu