Posted to dev@xmlbeans.apache.org by David Remy <dr...@bea.com> on 2004/08/03 21:38:41 UTC

Committers

I have been doing a number of commits for two developers over the last
year or so that I think should become committers.

Radu Preotiuc-Pietro has been working primarily in the XML Schema
Compilation area and has contributed numerous patches as well as
exception of David Bau, Radu is probably the most knowledgeable person
in regards to XMLBeans Schema Compilation.  Currently Radu is working on
incremental schema compilation as well as fixing XML Schema Feature
bugs.

Kevin Krouse has been working on XMLBeans V1 stability since XMLBeans
inception both doing testing and development.  He conceived the XMLBeans
branching strategy and has submitted numerous patches over the last year
or so.  He did the finalization work for the V1 JDK 1.3 port.  Also,
Kevin has made many posts on the XMLBeans User and Dev lists.  Kevin is
currently working on a complete review of XMLBeans error messages
including adding Error Codes the refer directly to the XML Schema
specification.

If you are interested you can find Radu and Kevin's submitted patches in
the XMLBeans CVS list by looking for contributed by: in the commit
comments.

If there are no major objections I will submit a vote on this in a few
days.

rem

Re: Committers

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
(this is a little off topic and is general in nature rather than
specific. i'm haven't followed the schema stuff closely - so i can't
say anything about radu - but i'm surprised that kevin isn't already a
committer which seems to be a good test :)

it's interesting how different communities handle election of
committers.

over in jakartaland, we've always held elections for committers in the
open (elections for the pmc have always been private). AIUI httpd (on
the other hand) conducts discussions about the merits of committers on
the private pmc list. i've heard it said that one of the reasons why
jakarta is said to have a lower bar to committership than httpd is a
result of this practice. i'm not sure how true this is but i can say
that whilst i've never heard it said that "a committer is doing well
but needs a little more time to mature" in a jakarta committer
election, i have heard it said in the private pmc elections. it would
certainly be more difficult to express this diplomatically on an open
list.

- robert