Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2015/01/04 14:25:52 UTC

Board reports - public or private

Hi all,

Just wondering, should we tell podlings that a board report is considered
public while in draft and can be discussed on their dev list, or its
private and should be discussed on their private list?

I had always assumed public, but could hear someone say its private.

John

Re: Board reports - public or private

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On Sunday, January 4, 2015, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just wondering, should we tell podlings that a board report is considered
> public while in draft and can be discussed on their dev list, or its
> private and should be discussed on their private list?

clearly public, the report is a matter for the whole community.

If the report was to contain a person issue a.k.a. discsused in private@  it
would be a problem that the wiki is public.

rgds
jan i

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 04/01/2015 Mark Struberg wrote:
> I know many projects (TLP) which discuss/draft the report in private
> and only later make it public.

OpenOffice, both as podling and TLP, has done the opposite (which I
assume is the norm): report is discussed on the dev list, stored on a
wiki page and the private list is only used if a <private> addendum
needs to be inserted.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Board reports - public or private

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
There are occasionally items that appear in board reports enclosed in
<private>, which concern behavior of project members, legal issues,
not-yet-publicized security exploits, and the like, which should
probably remain private. This is the exception, rather than the norm.
Everything else should be public.

--Rich

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: Board reports - public or private