Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Bob Herrmann <bo...@jadn.com> on 2002/08/02 17:47:27 UTC

[5] New Coyote Branch

So to ensure I understand, the "New Coyote Branch" means

Adding to repository "jakarta-tomcat-connectors" a directory;

      coyote/src/java/org/apache/coyote5/

which initially is a copy of

      coyote/src/java/org/apache/coyote4/

and in coyote5 the Request and Response classes implement the interfaces
in "jakarta-servletapi-5" and build.xml conditionally compiles the right
thing and some factory somewhere knows which classes to switch in? (When
being used at runtime by tomcat 5.)

I am looking to add methods login(Username,Password), login(X590Cert..),
logout() to the Request class (and jakarta-serveletapi-5) as per the
Serlvet 2.4 working groups latest recommendation.  I will also move the
"setCharacterEncoding()" and "getContentType()" to the tomcat5 (and out
of tomcat4) if I understand this all correctly.

Cheers,
-bob

Re: [5] New Coyote Branch

Posted by co...@covalent.net.
On 2 Aug 2002, Bob Herrmann wrote:

> Adding to repository "jakarta-tomcat-connectors" a directory;
>
>       coyote/src/java/org/apache/coyote5/

You mean:
    coyote/src/java/org/apache/coyote/tomcat5

> and in coyote5 the Request and Response classes implement the interfaces

tomcat4 Request/Response - yes.

coyote/Request and coyote/Response has nothing to do with the servlet
interfaces, they are low-level ( use MessageBytes instead of Strings,
etc ).

> I am looking to add methods login(Username,Password), login(X590Cert..),
> logout() to the Request class (and jakarta-serveletapi-5) as per the
> Serlvet 2.4 working groups latest recommendation.  I will also move the
> "setCharacterEncoding()" and "getContentType()" to the tomcat5 (and out
> of tomcat4) if I understand this all correctly.

What ? I missed that one. Well, if it is in the spec you'll have to add
it...

Costin