Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Patrick Flaherty <pa...@weather.com> on 2014/12/30 23:52:33 UTC

Malformed JSONLayout output.

I was playing with using Log4j2 JSONLayout to push logs into Logstash and
on my setup it seems like Log4j is pushing out bad JSON. No comma's between
objects when complete="true". I have no idea if this is a bug, if it's
expected behavior, or if it's something upstream in jackson.

Here are the versions I am using:

OpenJDK 1.7.0_71  (centos 6 64 bit)
jackson-annotations-2.4.4.jar
jackson-core-2.4.2.jar
jackson-databind-2.4.2.jar
log4j-api-2.1.jar
log4j-core-2.1.jar

Here's a gist of the code, config, and output.
https://gist.github.com/packplusplus/07b33eb19cbd3538f7af

If I used the File appender, I get the exact same output (except in a
file). In an ideal world, there would be an append newline function like on
the syslog appender, which would make the files and the sockets much easier
to drive events off of (but that's getting a bit greedy).

Anyone have any thoughts on if this is a bug, where it would be filed, or
any work arounds?

Patrick

p.s. http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/layouts.html - Doesn't list
JSONLayout in the manual menu on the left. Where do I file that?

--
* Patrick **Flaherty  *|
* w:*      *e:* patrick.flaherty@weather.com