Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ray Jette <rj...@mestek.com> on 2008/10/02 16:28:19 UTC

SPF rules

Good morning,
The SPF_PASS and SPF_HELO_PASS rules hit several hundred messages a day.
I am doing SPF lockup's at the MTA. How do I go about stopping these
tests from within SA?

Thanks,
Ray

Re: SPF rules

Posted by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>.
Benny Pedersen wrote:
> On Thu, October 2, 2008 16:28, Ray Jette wrote:
>> Good morning,
>
> evening here :)

it keeps changing here :)

>> The SPF_PASS and SPF_HELO_PASS rules hit several hundred messages a day.
>> I am doing SPF lockup's at the MTA. How do I go about stopping these
>> tests from within SA?

The question is why? If your MTA does SPF checks, then doing them again
in SA costs nothing if you have a "recommended" setup (DNS caching).

> perldoc Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf
> perldoc Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF
>
> if spf test is adding header to the mail, disable the perl spf code
> modules and let spf plugin use the header
>
> if want no spf test at all in sa, disable the plugin in a pre file

but this will "break" all things that depend on SPF (including
whitelist_from_spf, ...). not clear whether OP wants this.

Re: SPF rules

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Thu, October 2, 2008 16:28, Ray Jette wrote:
> Good morning,

evening here :)

--
Benny Pedersen
Need more webspace ? http://www.servage.net/?coupon=cust37098

Re: SPF rules

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 02.10.08 10:28, Ray Jette wrote:
> The SPF_PASS and SPF_HELO_PASS rules hit several hundred messages a day.
> I am doing SPF lockup's at the MTA. How do I go about stopping these
> tests from within SA?

if your MTA pushes Received-SPF: headers to the mail, the SA will use it.

There are still many possibilities where SA may use SPF result even if it
passed in (there are some unsure results that score a bit...)
Fucking windows! Bring Bill Gates! (Southpark the movie)

Re: SPF rules

Posted by "McDonald, Dan" <Da...@austinenergy.com>.
On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 10:57 -0400, Ray Jette wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply. Do you know what .pre file this is contained
> in? From the /etc/spamassassin directory I ran the following:
> grep SPF_PASS *.pre but came up with nothing.

[mcdonalddj@sa spamassassin]$ grep -i -C 1 spf *.pre
init.pre-
init.pre:# SPF - perform SPF verification.
init.pre-#
init.pre:loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF
init.pre-

Although, I do agree with Matus that SPF is low-cost and adds value even
if it is checked elsewhere.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CISSP #78281, CNX
Austin Energy

Re: SPF rules

Posted by Ray Jette <rj...@mestek.com>.

Re: SPF rules

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.
Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> Of course, PASS tells nothing, but
> there are *FAIL, NEUTRAL etc.

Actually, PASS can tell you quite a bit if you're trying to whitelist a
specific address or domain (eg. whitelist_from_spf).

--
Kelson Vibber

Re: SPF rules

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 02.10.08 09:44, McDonald, Dan wrote:
> score SPF_PASS 0
> score SPF_HELO_PASS 0
>
> or just remove the module from the .pre file that it's loaded from.

that's very bad idea. SPF can give good results even using at SA level.
e.g. SPF soft fail means that care should be taken as the mesasge is
suspicious. That means, score is added. Of course, PASS tells nothing, but
there are *FAIL, NEUTRAL etc.
There's a long-standing bug relating to the x86 architecture that
allows you to install Windows.   -- Matthew D. Fuller

Re: SPF rules

Posted by "McDonald, Dan" <Da...@austinenergy.com>.
On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 10:28 -0400, Ray Jette wrote:
> Good morning,
> The SPF_PASS and SPF_HELO_PASS rules hit several hundred messages a day.
> I am doing SPF lockup's at the MTA. How do I go about stopping these
> tests from within SA?

score SPF_PASS 0
score SPF_HELO_PASS 0