Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2010/08/13 15:12:37 UTC

BSD Jail (like Solaris Zone)

Infrastructure is setting up Free BSD Jails for projects, do we want one?  Typically, in Lucene land, we used them for running nightlys, etc. Could also be used for setting up online demos (would be nice to have a recommendation demo online).

-Grant

Re: BSD Jail (like Solaris Zone)

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Aug 13, 2010, at 11:45 AM, Isabel Drost wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Infrastructure is setting up Free BSD Jails for projects, do we want
>> one?  Typically, in Lucene land, we used them for running nightlys,
>> etc.
>
> Isn't that something we currently do via Hudson? Or could having our
> own jail mean that we could somehow tie our Hudson jobs to run on it?
> (Kind-of confused wrt. the Apache infrastructure available to us
> here...)

We could tie Hudson to it, but we don't have to.  I think it would be more for us to have a sandbox where we can run things, etc.    I do think it would be interesting if we could somehow easily provision several zones so that we could run a small Hadoop cluster.  Being able to do something like that, I think, would make Mahout more accessible to people who don't have large budgets or large data centers.

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
> Infrastructure is setting up Free BSD Jails for projects, do we want
> one?  Typically, in Lucene land, we used them for running nightlys,
> etc.

Isn't that something we currently do via Hudson? Or could having our
own jail mean that we could somehow tie our Hudson jobs to run on it?
(Kind-of confused wrt. the Apache infrastructure available to us
here...)

> Could also be used for setting up online demos (would be nice to
> have a recommendation demo online).

That would certainly be nice.

Isabel

RE: BSD Jail (like Solaris Zone)

Posted by Saikat Kanjilal <sx...@hotmail.com>.
How does this compare with EC2 for instance where we could potentially spin up a mahout instance running on hadoop for testing etc, has there been any discussion on running mahout on top of hadoop using something like EC2, I realize its an open source project so not sure if there are funds allocated to paying for something like this.  Also not being familiar enough with the other Apache projects are there linux jails that are also available, I would tend to favor operating systems that are more heavily used in the infrastructure these days (ubuntu/redhat/centos 64 bit) unless there is a specific reason for favoring the FreeBSD kernel.