Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Michael A. Smith" <ma...@apache.org> on 2002/06/22 23:16:23 UTC

[VOTE][Collections] Naming conventions

There has been recent discussion on this list about forming naming
conventions for the collections component to ensure consistency within
the collections API as more and more collection "decorators" are added.
The discussion culminated in a summary by Stephen:
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgId=366210
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=102416074321189&w=2
http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg08316.html
[use whatever archive you prefer]

Since the changes are considered a product change, they are governed by
the lazy consensus voting rules which state that approval is assumed
until a -1 occurs (at which point it reverts to consensus).  Aaron Bates
has -1 the laziness, and thus this is now a consensus vote.  Thus, we
need 3 +1 votes and no -1 votes in order to adopt the proposal.  [*]

I'd like to start with my +1 for the proposal.  It doesn't have any
compatibility impact since almost all the code has been added since the
last collections release, and will make usage of the API much more
straightforward.  Maintenance may require more effort, but the proposal
allows for reducing the maintenance if required (i.e. move the static
inner classes as top level classes in a subpackage).

regards,
michael

[*] See: http://jakarta.apache.org/site/decisions.html

Re: [VOTE][Collections] Naming conventions

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
+1

(sorry it took a while to catch up - commons-dev has been very busy lately).

James

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
+1
Stephen

Posted by Juozas Baliuka <ba...@mwm.lt>.
+1

I found it.

Posted by "Michael A. Smith" <ma...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Juozas Baliuka wrote:
> Hi,
> I agree, new naming is better, but can't find message with Aaron's -1,
> I want to know his motivation  before to vote.

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgId=374225

regards,
michael

Posted by Juozas Baliuka <ba...@centras.lt>.