Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Kashyap Mhaisekar <ka...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/24 16:58:54 UTC

Storm DRPC Performance

Hi,
Am doing a feasibility as to using the storm DRPC to power our backend APIs
and have run into some problems. The core functionality that needs to be
executed takes around 2 ms to execute but in storm takes close to 400 msec.
Requesting an approach for them -

1. The LinearDRPCTopologyBuilder uses DRPCSpout by default. Is there a way
to increase the no. of instances on them? I see that spout always has
executors at 1. The problem is that when more than one request comes in at
the same time, the times go up drastically.
2. The bolts are defined as bolt0, bolt1, bolt2 etc. I used only 3 bolts
but there are 5 bolts shown (bolt0 to bolt4). Is there a way I can change
the names of the bolts shown in storm UI to more meaningful way the way it
happens in regular storm?
3. For some of the bolts, the Process Latency is very very high compared to
execute latency. I am trying to figure out the reason but am unsuccessful.
4. The Complete Latency on the spout is very high at 500+ msc.  I am trying
to figure out the reason but am unsuccessful.

Configurations used as below: :

config.put(Config.DRPC_WORKER_THREADS,64);
config.setNumWorkers(50);
config.setMaxTaskParallelism(50);
config.setMaxSpoutPending(5000);
config.put(Config.TOPOLOGY_ACKER_EXECUTORS, 50);
config.put(Config.TOPOLOGY_EXECUTOR_SEND_BUFFER_SIZE, 16384);
config.put(Config.TOPOLOGY_EXECUTOR_RECEIVE_BUFFER_SIZE, 16384);
Supervisor slot ports: [6700 6701 6702 6703 6704 6705 6706 6707 6708 6709
6710 6711]
I have cluster of 5 servers with 8 GB and 4 cores. Of the 5, 3 servers have
DRPC running.

*Storm UI Details:*

[image: Inline image 1]

Please do help me out.

Regards,
Kashyap

Re: Storm DRPC Performance

Posted by Kashyap Mhaisekar <ka...@gmail.com>.
Guys Help!!!

Re: Storm DRPC Performance

Posted by Kashyap Mhaisekar <ka...@gmail.com>.
Jia,
> [...]

>>> happens in regular storm?
>>> 3. For some of the bolts, the Process Latency is very very high compared
>>> to execute latency. I am trying to figure out the reason but am
>>> unsuccessful.
>>> 4. The Complete Latency on the spout is very high at 500+ msc.  I am
>>> trying to figure out the reason but am unsuccessful.
>>>
>>> Configurations used as below: :
>>>
>>>  config.put(Config.DRPC_WORKER_THREADS,64);
>>>  config.setNumWorkers(50);
>>>  config.setMaxTaskParallelism(50);
>>>  config.setMaxSpoutPending(5000);
>>>  config.put(Config.TOPOLOGY_ACKER_EXECUTORS, 50);
>>>  config.put(Config.TOPOLOGY_EXECUTOR_SEND_BUFFER_SIZE, 16384);
>>>  config.put(Config.TOPOLOGY_EXECUTOR_RECEIVE_BUFFER_SIZE, 16384);
>>>  Supervisor slot ports: [6700 6701 6702 6703 6704 6705 6706 6707 6708
>>> 6709 6710 6711]
>>> I have cluster of 5 servers with 8 GB and 4 cores. Of the 5, 3 servers

Re: Storm DRPC Performance

Posted by xu...@gmail.com.

Re: Storm DRPC Performance

Posted by Kashyap Mhaisekar <ka...@gmail.com>.
Brian,

Re: Storm DRPC Performance

Posted by Brian O'Neill <bo...@alumni.brown.edu>.
Just a perspective on thisŠ

We looked at DRPC, and decided *NOT* to go that route.  For small
computations (< 2ms), the network hop itself can add an order of magnitude
to response times.  (also much simpler to keep the computation within a
single JVM ‹ if you can)

Instead, we are looking to embed Storm directly within our web services.
So far, we¹ve embedded Trident State.  We may look at topologies next.

From:  Kashyap Mhaisekar <ka...@gmail.com>
Date:  Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 11:58 AM
To:  "user@storm.incubator.apache.org" <us...@storm.incubator.apache.org>,
<us...@storm.apache.org>