Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com> on 2014/08/27 10:33:57 UTC

Git repo ready to use

Hi folks,

I am very excited to let you know that the git repo is now writable. I
committed a few changes (CHANGES.txt fixes and branching for 2.5.1) and
everything looks good.

Current status:

   1. All branches have the same names, including trunk.
   2. Force push is disabled on trunk, branch-2 and tags.
   3. Even if you are experienced with git, take a look at
   https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToCommitWithGit . Particularly, let us
   avoid merge commits.

Follow-up items:

   1. Update rest of the wiki documentation
   2. Update precommit Jenkins jobs and get HADOOP-11001 committed (reviews
   appreciated). Until this is done, the precommit jobs will run against our
   old svn repo.
   3. git mirrors etc. to use the new repo instead of the old svn repo.

Thanks again for your cooperation through the migration process. Please
reach out to me (or the list) if you find anything missing or have
suggestions.

Cheers!
Karthik

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.
svngit2jira would write a message like this -
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-1638?focusedCommentId=13714929&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13714929
with a link to the commit like this -
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cloudstack.git;h=7260e8d

This is more concise and easier to look at than the Hudson list.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>.
Committed YARN-2035 successfully via git. Email notification seems to work
already.

--
Zhijie Shen
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Zhijie Shen
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
thx for trying, ted

for any committer who wants to work with jenkins, the instructions are

http://wiki.apache.org/general/Jenkins#How_do_I_get_an_account

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Giri

I have switched the following builds to using git:

https://builds.apache.org/job/Hadoop-Yarn-trunk/

https://builds.apache.org/job/Hadoop-hdfs-trunk/

https://builds.apache.org/job/Hadoop-mapreduce-trunk/

Cheers

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Hey all,

For those of you who like to see the entire history of a file going back to
2006, I found I had to add a new graft to .git/info/grafts:

# Project un-split in new writable git repo
a196766ea07775f18ded69bd9e8d239f8cfd3ccc
928d485e2743115fe37f9d123ce9a635c5afb91a
cd66945f62635f589ff93468e94c0039684a8b6d
77f628ff5925c25ba2ee4ce14590789eb2e7b85b

FWIW, my entire file now contains:

# Project split
5128a9a453d64bfe1ed978cf9ffed27985eeef36
6c16dc8cf2b28818c852e95302920a278d07ad0c
6a3ac690e493c7da45bbf2ae2054768c427fd0e1
6c16dc8cf2b28818c852e95302920a278d07ad0c
546d96754ffee3142bcbbf4563c624c053d0ed0d
6c16dc8cf2b28818c852e95302920a278d07ad0c
4e569e629a98a4ef5326e5d25a84c7d57b5a8f7a
c78078dd2283e2890018ff0e87d751c86163f99f

# Project un-split in new writable git repo
a196766ea07775f18ded69bd9e8d239f8cfd3ccc
928d485e2743115fe37f9d123ce9a635c5afb91a
cd66945f62635f589ff93468e94c0039684a8b6d
77f628ff5925c25ba2ee4ce14590789eb2e7b85b

which seems to do a good job for me (not sure if the first few lines are
necessary anymore in the latest world)

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@alumni.cmu.edu>.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@gmail.com>.
That's good to know. Thanks.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Vinayakumar B <vi...@apache.org>.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@gmail.com>.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.

--
Alejandro

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Charles:

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Charles Lamb <cl...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Giridharan Kesavan <gk...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Giridharan Kesavan <gk...@hortonworks.com>.
I'm looking into it.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

RE: Git repo ready to use

Posted by "Liu, Yi A" <yi...@intel.com>.
Thanks Karthik for making Git repo ready.

Regards,
Yi Liu

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
I have access.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Vinayakumar B <vi...@apache.org>.
Sorry for the noice. :) please ignore. All is well :)

I think, I did a mistake while checking out branch-2.5.
 used "git checkout *-b *branch-2.5" instead of "git checkout branch-2.5"

Regards,
Vinay

Re: Git repo ready to use

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.