Posted to modproxy-dev@apache.org by Eli Marmor <ma...@netmask.it> on 2001/05/08 09:44:07 UTC

Best mod_proxy Stable Version

[The following questions relate to mod_ssl too; Please read on]

What is the best *STANDARD* version of Apache, from the point of view of
mod_proxy?
(by writing "standard", I mean the standard source tree, excluding
external patches like the one that was prepared for 1.3.19)

Is it true that proxy features which already worked with old versions of
Apache, don't work anymore with 1.3.19?  (unless the special patch, which
I wrote that is not an option, is applied)

IIRC, since mod_proxy was not maintained quite well for some time in the
past, some versions of it were not up-to-date, and had conflicts with the
core Apache, which made mod_proxy not so good as in the past. Is it true?

And if it's true, then what version exactly is recommended? Is 1.3.12
good enough?

My questions may sound strange, so let me describe my status:

I have a site powered by 1.3.12 + mod_ssl, with intensive use of
mod_proxy, mainly as a reverse proxy. I want to upgrade it, but am afraid
that the proxy stuff will not work well.

Picking 1.3.19, and applying the special proxy patch of 1.3.19 into it,
is not an option, since mod_ssl comes as a patch which should be applied
into the standard Apache. There are versions of mod_ssl for almost any
standard Apache, including the current (1.3.19) and mine (1.3.12), but
not _1.3.19 + proxy-patch_.

If it's possible to apply mod_ssl into the patched 1.3.19, then it's the
best, and I'll be happy to hear about it from you.

If not, I'd appreciate if anybody here has any expecience with the
combination of mod_ssl/mod_proxy, and can recommend the best version of
Apache to use.

Thanks in advance,
--
Eli Marmor
marmor@netmask.it

Re: Best mod_proxy Stable Version

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Eli Marmor wrote:

> [The following questions relate to mod_ssl too; Please read on]
>
> What is the best *STANDARD* version of Apache, from the point of view of
> mod_proxy?
> (by writing "standard", I mean the standard source tree, excluding
> external patches like the one that was prepared for 1.3.19)
>
> Is it true that proxy features which already worked with old versions of
> Apache, don't work anymore with 1.3.19?  (unless the special patch, which
> I wrote that is not an option, is applied)

None of the options changed (to my knowledge) between the patches up to
1.3.19.

Changes came with 2.0 when the cache was ripped out of the proxy.

> IIRC, since mod_proxy was not maintained quite well for some time in the
> past, some versions of it were not up-to-date, and had conflicts with the
> core Apache, which made mod_proxy not so good as in the past. Is it true?

Not really. mod_proxy has been maintained and bugfixes applied by me and
others since 1.3.9 (or thereabouts).

> And if it's true, then what version exactly is recommended? Is 1.3.12
> good enough?

1.3.12 worked great for me.

> My questions may sound strange, so let me describe my status:
>
> I have a site powered by 1.3.12 + mod_ssl, with intensive use of
> mod_proxy, mainly as a reverse proxy. I want to upgrade it, but am afraid
> that the proxy stuff will not work well.

Try it out on a test system and see if it works, or implement a backout
plan. I'd do this regardless of mod_proxy's status as working or not.

> Picking 1.3.19, and applying the special proxy patch of 1.3.19 into it,
> is not an option, since mod_ssl comes as a patch which should be applied
> into the standard Apache. There are versions of mod_ssl for almost any
> standard Apache, including the current (1.3.19) and mine (1.3.12), but
> not _1.3.19 + proxy-patch_.

When I created the patch for 1.3.12 I took special care to ensure that
the proxy patch and the SSL patch did not clash with each other (apply
the SSL patch first, then the proxy patch).

I'm not sure if the same is still true for the 1.3.19 patch, been a
while since I built 1.3 Apache.

> If it's possible to apply mod_ssl into the patched 1.3.19, then it's the
> best, and I'll be happy to hear about it from you.

Apply the proxy patch to the SSL patched Apache, not the other way
around. At worst there should be a small conflict in proxy_http.c (if
memory serves), which should be fixed without too much hassle.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street