Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by Julian Hyde <ju...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/21 20:31:44 UTC

Drill-dev message volume

The traffic on the drill-dev list is overwhelming. Most of it is jira updates, and many of those are just admin tasks, such as flagging that a patch has arrived or an issue is fixed. So, the signal-to-noise ratio is pretty poor.

I don't think that I can solve this using mail filters, even fairly smart ones. If I redirected all jira messages to the trash (or to another folder which, let's be honest, I would never keep up with) I would miss updates to issues that I care enough about to have subscribed to updates.

Likewise, if I requested a daily digest, it would add a 24-hour lag to my participation in discussions, and I would probably still lose messages amongst the chaff.

I know having all transactions on a public email list is "the Apache way", but it's a flawed policy. The time investment to sort through the chaff is such that only full-time salaried developers can participate. (I suspect that many of these are tempted to have the real discussions one-to-one, or ignore the list entirely and just work on their assigned jira cases.)

Let's have a discussion about this. Is anyone else feeling similarly overwhelmed? Conversely, drill-dev is working fine for you, please speak up too.

If I don't receive any replies to this message, I guess I have my answer. :)

Julian

Re: Drill-dev message volume

Posted by Julian Hyde <ju...@gmail.com>.
On May 21, 2014, at 11:35 AM, Aditya <ad...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess most of us have felt the same way and I have requested separate
> mailing lists for JIRA comments and Git commit logs.

> Once in place, the volume on the dev list should be manageable.

Awesome. If it works, I'll request that Hive does the same.

Julian

Re: Drill-dev message volume

Posted by Aditya <ad...@gmail.com>.

Re: Drill-dev message volume

Posted by Timothy Chen <tn...@gmail.com>.
I actually chose the route to mailbox all JIRA traffic and only look
at Drill jira page activity feed once in a while to see what's going
on.

The huge git commit messages are definitely a big spam, but it's very
useful for me as I can know exactly all the patches going in, but I
can see it being annoying.

I don't see other projects getting these big git commit messages when
things are pushed though, do we know how to configure that?

Tim