Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2023/01/18 12:44:15 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Create integration (ServiceMix like) distribution in Karaf OSGi runtime

Hi guys,

The ServiceMix community is discussing about moving most of the SMX
parts into Karaf (the useful parts ;) ).

As part of this move, the "main" ServiceMix distribution is mainly a
Karaf assembly.

Currently, we have two distributions: "standard"
(apache-karaf-x.x.x.tar.gz) and "minimal"
(apache-karaf-minimal-x.x.x.tar.gz).

I propose to add a new distribution (in assemblies):
apache-karaf-integration-x.x.x.tar.gz containing ready to go
Karaf/Camel/CXF/ActiveMQ smooth integration.
Concretely, it means:
- we will have integration features repository XML
- we will have a distribution based on this features repository
- we will have itest on this distribution with the best coverage we can

If there is no objection, I will create the Jira and create a PR (as I
have almost all ready :)).

Thoughts ?

Regards
JB

Re: [PROPOSAL] Create integration (ServiceMix like) distribution in Karaf OSGi runtime

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1 agree that the work is really aligning the feature repos, and (at times) politely submitting fixes to upstream published features.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Lukasz,

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.
I see its an interesting concept, however - given that SMX is still not
at attic, I need to ask what is benefit of doing such large distribution
within Karaf project itself?
 From technical point of view we need to separate dependencies to avoid

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by "Sobkowiak, Krzysztof" <kr...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by fpapon <fp...@apache.org>.
Sounds good.

+1

regards,

François

> Hi guys,
>
> The ServiceMix community is discussing about moving most of the SMX
> parts into Karaf (the useful parts ;) ).
>
> As part of this move, the "main" ServiceMix distribution is mainly a
> Karaf assembly.
>
> Currently, we have two distributions: "standard"
> (apache-karaf-x.x.x.tar.gz) and "minimal"
> (apache-karaf-minimal-x.x.x.tar.gz).
>
> I propose to add a new distribution (in assemblies):
> apache-karaf-integration-x.x.x.tar.gz containing ready to go
> Karaf/Camel/CXF/ActiveMQ smooth integration.
> Concretely, it means:
> - we will have integration features repository XML
> - we will have a distribution based on this features repository
> - we will have itest on this distribution with the best coverage we can
>
> If there is no objection, I will create the Jira and create a PR (as I
> have almost all ready :)).
>
> Thoughts ?
>
> Regards
> JB

François

Re: [PROPOSAL] Create integration (ServiceMix like) distribution in Karaf OSGi runtime

Posted by Ephemeris Lappis <ep...@gmail.com>.
+1

I think this could be a good solution to get a "ready to use" platform
as SMX was. Many customers and I had been using SMX for years, for this
rich integrated quality.

Nevertheless, I'm not sure this will be a "miracle" solution. My last
and current works are all about migrating a customer's applications
system from a very old RedHat Fuse (some kind of complex system based on
SMX) to a "hand made" platform based on the last Karaf and Camel
versions (ActiveMQ is also used, but will be deployed as a separate
middle-ware), building our own features to provide what was, more or
less, out of the shelf in SMX.

This is a rather painful work, but doing that we aim to be able to
maintain Karaf, Camel  and other components depending on out needs,
upgrading what is necessary when kit's necessary.

I remember in the past having working on a failed project for replacing
the Camel version in SMX, that was not so easy as it looked like.

What upgrading strategy do you imagine for Karaf, Camel, CXF, etc. ?
Migrating from our old Camel 2.X to 3.X we discovered a lot of
differences (small ones or bigger ones), deprecated or removed
components... Do you plan to provide with each last Karaf, the last Camel ?

I'm going to follow up your discussion on this topic...

Ephemeris Lappis

--
Cet e-mail a été vérifié par le logiciel antivirus d'Avast.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Create integration (ServiceMix like) distribution in Karaf OSGi runtime

Posted by fpapon <fp...@apache.org>.
Sounds good.

+1

regards,

François

> Hi guys,
>
> The ServiceMix community is discussing about moving most of the SMX
> parts into Karaf (the useful parts ;) ).
>
> As part of this move, the "main" ServiceMix distribution is mainly a
> Karaf assembly.
>
> Currently, we have two distributions: "standard"
> (apache-karaf-x.x.x.tar.gz) and "minimal"
> (apache-karaf-minimal-x.x.x.tar.gz).
>
> I propose to add a new distribution (in assemblies):
> apache-karaf-integration-x.x.x.tar.gz containing ready to go
> Karaf/Camel/CXF/ActiveMQ smooth integration.
> Concretely, it means:
> - we will have integration features repository XML
> - we will have a distribution based on this features repository
> - we will have itest on this distribution with the best coverage we can
>
> If there is no objection, I will create the Jira and create a PR (as I
> have almost all ready :)).
>
> Thoughts ?
>
> Regards
> JB

François

Re: [PROPOSAL] Create integration (ServiceMix like) distribution in Karaf OSGi runtime

Posted by Grzegorz Grzybek <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hello

I don't know much about SMX distributions (except SMX bundles), but having
a Karaf distro with ready-to-use Camel + CXF + ActiveMQ sounds like a good
idea.

regards
Grzegorz Grzybek

Posted by "Sobkowiak, Krzysztof" <kr...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by "Sobkowiak, Krzysztof" <kr...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Nicolas Filotto <nf...@talend.com>.
+1 (non-binding)
________________________________

As a recipient of an email from Talend, your contact personal data will be on our systems. Please see our privacy notice. <https://www.talend.com/privacy/>

Re: [PROPOSAL] Create integration (ServiceMix like) distribution in Karaf OSGi runtime

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

Fair point, the initial intent is "just" to have
https://github.com/apache/servicemix/tree/master/assemblies/apache-servicemix
like distribution in as apache-karaf-integration.

The users can build their custom distributions based on karaf minimal,
karaf standard, karaf integration.

Another option is not to create a full distribution, but features
repositories only and let user do the assembly. However, a lot of SMX
users don't want to create custom distro: they just want to extract &
run and then deploy their artifacts (ok, they are probably "old" style
:)).
Probably the option would be to have ready to use features
repositories, and "document" (or eventually add tool) how to use it.

Regards
JB

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi JB,

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi JB,

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi JB,

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi JB,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Romain,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Romain,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Romain,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Romain,

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi JB,

Posted by Grzegorz Grzybek <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hello

Posted by fpapon <fp...@apache.org>.
Sounds good.

+1

regards,

François

> Hi guys,
>
> The ServiceMix community is discussing about moving most of the SMX
> parts into Karaf (the useful parts ;) ).
>
> As part of this move, the "main" ServiceMix distribution is mainly a
> Karaf assembly.
>
> Currently, we have two distributions: "standard"
> (apache-karaf-x.x.x.tar.gz) and "minimal"
> (apache-karaf-minimal-x.x.x.tar.gz).
>
> I propose to add a new distribution (in assemblies):
> apache-karaf-integration-x.x.x.tar.gz containing ready to go
> Karaf/Camel/CXF/ActiveMQ smooth integration.
> Concretely, it means:
> - we will have integration features repository XML
> - we will have a distribution based on this features repository
> - we will have itest on this distribution with the best coverage we can
>
> If there is no objection, I will create the Jira and create a PR (as I
> have almost all ready :)).
>
> Thoughts ?
>
> Regards
> JB

François

Re: [PROPOSAL] Create integration (ServiceMix like) distribution in Karaf OSGi runtime

Posted by Gerald Kallas <ca...@mailbox.org.INVALID>.
+1 from mine, like the proposal.

Posted by "Sobkowiak, Krzysztof" <kr...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi JB,

Posted by Grzegorz Grzybek <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hello

Posted by Ephemeris Lappis <ep...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi JB,

Posted by Ephemeris Lappis <ep...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi JB,

Posted by Grzegorz Grzybek <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hello

Posted by fpapon <fp...@apache.org>.
Sounds good.

+1

regards,

François

> Hi guys,
>
> The ServiceMix community is discussing about moving most of the SMX
> parts into Karaf (the useful parts ;) ).
>
> As part of this move, the "main" ServiceMix distribution is mainly a
> Karaf assembly.
>
> Currently, we have two distributions: "standard"
> (apache-karaf-x.x.x.tar.gz) and "minimal"
> (apache-karaf-minimal-x.x.x.tar.gz).
>
> I propose to add a new distribution (in assemblies):
> apache-karaf-integration-x.x.x.tar.gz containing ready to go
> Karaf/Camel/CXF/ActiveMQ smooth integration.
> Concretely, it means:
> - we will have integration features repository XML
> - we will have a distribution based on this features repository
> - we will have itest on this distribution with the best coverage we can
>
> If there is no objection, I will create the Jira and create a PR (as I
> have almost all ready :)).
>
> Thoughts ?
>
> Regards
> JB

François

Re: [PROPOSAL] Create integration (ServiceMix like) distribution in Karaf OSGi runtime

Posted by Gerald Kallas via user <us...@karaf.apache.org>.