Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Ricardo SIGNES <rj...@cpan.org> on 2007/03/20 13:43:31 UTC

a wrapper for Mail::SpamAssassin::Client

Hi!  I'm planning to write a library for myself to wrap using
Mail::SpamAssassin::Client, to return an object summarizing the results of
checking, having extracted things like tests/score from the message in the
response.  If I release it to the CPAN, my first choice would be
M::SA::C::Simple, or something like that.

Would the SA team prefer I keep my hands out of the M::SA namespace?

I know that Mail::SA::Client's interface is likely to change, and I promise to
keep my own wrapper up to date. :)

--
rjbs

Re: a wrapper for Mail::SpamAssassin::Client

Posted by Ricardo SIGNES <rj...@cpan.org>.
* "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca> [2007-03-22T03:56:32]
> Have you considered contributing the code to the SA project for
> inclusion?  If it's included in our code base we're less likely to break
> it (at least without fixing it) on you.  You'd still, of course, be able
> to contribute updates to it in the future.

I figure I'll hang onto it while I get it into the shape I imagined.  Then,
when it's stable enough, I'd be happy to hand it over, if you folks are
interested in taking over.

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
> Hi!  I'm planning to write a library for myself to wrap using
> Mail::SpamAssassin::Client, to return an object summarizing the results of
> checking, having extracted things like tests/score from the message in the
> response.  If I release it to the CPAN, my first choice would be
> M::SA::C::Simple, or something like that.
>
> Would the SA team prefer I keep my hands out of the M::SA namespace?
>
> I know that Mail::SA::Client's interface is likely to change, and I promise to
> keep my own wrapper up to date. :)

Have you considered contributing the code to the SA project for
inclusion?  If it's included in our code base we're less likely to break
it (at least without fixing it) on you.  You'd still, of course, be able
to contribute updates to it in the future.

Daryl

Re: a wrapper for Mail::SpamAssassin::Client

Posted by Ricardo SIGNES <rj...@cpan.org>.
* Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> [2007-03-21T05:45:34]
> Ricardo SIGNES writes:
> > Hi!  I'm planning to write a library for myself to wrap using
> > Mail::SpamAssassin::Client, to return an object summarizing the results of
> > checking, having extracted things like tests/score from the message in the
> > response.  If I release it to the CPAN, my first choice would be
> > M::SA::C::Simple, or something like that.
>
> I think it's fine; go for it!
>
> Thanks for this btw; sounds interesting ;)

I uploaded Mail-SpamAssassin-SimpleClient 0.001 last night.  It needs more
testing and I have a bunch of things I'd like to do with it, but you'll get the
idea.

In the near future, I may join the sa-dev list to see if I can convince someone
to make some changes to the spamd protocol (or to figure out how to make them
myself) to make things awesomer.

Share and enjoy!

--
rjbs