Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Ram Sharma <ra...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/01 07:39:28 UTC

Re: Shindig Beginner

Hi Sean,

I think there is a huge understanding gap here.

Shindig is an framework to become or behave like an open social container.
Like Orkut was an social networking site. It was having its own database for
its user data like profile, friends etc. right? now when Open Social came
into picture, orkut integrated shindig to become open social container. Not
with the help of shindig and open social, orkut can run applicatins
developed by thrid party developers (who do not belongs to orkut).

These thrid party developer will develop ther applications as per the Open
Social gadgets specification. These application can then run on any open
social complieant application like Hi5, myspace etc.

These third party application may be games or other entertainment
applications like photobuzz, buddypoke etc. To store the data generated by
these applications + to use the data (friends, albums etc..) from the
container (orkut) shindig used database interaction code. Shindig can
directly use the database calls for the same or may use the container's api
to create/update data in database.

So shindig is not the right solution for you problem. You just need an
social network which should be a plain database based application. Shindig
would be just an add on to your social network.

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 8:41 PM, McCarrick, Sean-Econ <Sean.McCarrick@ps.net
> wrote:

>  Hi Ram,
>
> So what you’re saying is that the database support in shindig is only used
> for third party opensocial apps who want to persist data in the shindig
> database residing in my appl?
>
> In other words the database is not for data persisted from my social
> application on my website through shindig (because shindig can’t do this)?
>
> By the way that impetus link was down.
>
> Thanks again for the help, really appreciate it.
>
> Sean

Ram Sharma
Impetus Iinfotech (India) Pvt Ltd
www.impetus.com

Re: Shindig Beginner

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@google.com>.
+1 to what Ram said: If you want to develop an OpenSocial application, then
just start out with the OpenSocial tutorial (
http://wiki.opensocial.org/index.php?title=OpenSocial_Tutorial) and go from
there, no need for shindig or anything to develop social apps this way.

Shindig is meant for if you want to add opensocial support to an existing
social site (like hi5, myspace, orkut, etc), and not required for building
social apps which run on those sites.

   -- Chris