Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Matteo Villa <mv...@prosolutions.de> on 2001/07/25 10:46:02 UTC

Help: connectivity problem with cocoon 2

Hi there!

I have the following problem with cocoon 2.
   I get errors when I try to establish the connection between cocoon
and oracle.
   Running the simple-SQL (sql-page.xml) I get the following error:
   ---
   org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Failed to execute
pipeline.:java.sql.SQLException: You cannot get a Poolable before the
pool is initialized
   ---
   Java is jdk1.3
   Oracle is 8.1.7 on Windows NT4 SP6a. I created an instance, which is
up and running.
   I can connect to it via sqlplus as well as via ODBC.
   I read the user mailings (bug 2190) and did the changes as described
(see attachments)
   I tried also the following:
   - got Oracle's classes12.zip, renamed to oracle.jar into
{tomcat-home}\lib
   - got Oracle's classes12.zip, renamed to oracle.jar into
{tomcat-home}\webapps\cocoon\webinf\lib
   - got Oracle's classes12.zip, produced a 'real' oracle.jar and put
into {tomcat-home}\lib
   - got Oracle's classes12.zip, produced a 'real' oracle.jar and put
into {tomcat-home}\webapps\cocoon\webinf\lib
   - changed the CLASSPATH to point also to the produced oracle.jar

   nothing helps.
   so: what am I doing wrong ?

   The cocoon.log shows :
   ---
   DEBUG   99604   [cocoon  ] (Thread-5):
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.JdbcConnection: could not be
instantiated.
   ---

   What do I have to do ?

   Thanks in advance for any help!

Matteo Villa

Re: Help: connectivity problem with cocoon 2

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Matteo Villa wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> I have the following problem with cocoon 2.
>    I get errors when I try to establish the connection between cocoon
> and oracle.
>    Running the simple-SQL (sql-page.xml) I get the following error:

Check the FAQ:

Your driver is not in the classpath.

Tomcat currently does not load zip files.  Your last placement of the "oracle.jar"
file is the correct one (assuming that the lib directory is the same as the others).
Check your connect string.  It is very possible that it is incorrect:

jdbc:oracle:thin:@host:port:service

for example:

jdbc:oracle:thin:@borg:1521:ORCL

Also, make sure that your username and password are set correctly in the Cocoon.xconf
file.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Matteo Villa wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> I have the following problem with cocoon 2.
>    I get errors when I try to establish the connection between cocoon
> and oracle.
>    Running the simple-SQL (sql-page.xml) I get the following error:

Check the FAQ.

Re: AW: Help: connectivity problem with cocoon 2

Posted by Matteo Villa <mv...@prosolutions.de>.
It works!

Thanks a lot.

The basic problem was in the confusion in the xconf file. Basing on  your
example I reordered the <datasources> section, and it works.

Have a nice day,
Matteo Villa

Re: AW: XML Spy becomes a tool we all were looking for

Posted by andre powroznik <an...@uniway.be>.
Hi,

I send this e-mail only to you because it is off-topic.

I was thinking about XMLized Content Management Systems, where the
editors (at least those for writers) are stored in the CMS itself, using
an HTML interface (I think about a GUI in XML).

That was the reason of my question.

Posted by "Piroumian, Konstantin" <KP...@flagship.ru>.

Posted by Gritsenko <gr...@home.com>.
Guys, I know what to do (try to do) - use FOP command line instead of Xalan
Konstanin uses - this way we will get PDF output in XmlSpy preview window. I
will go to FOP site and find out what exactly the command is.

Try it yourself, don't wait for me.

Viktor

Posted by Olga Agady <oa...@yahoo.com>.
I send a question to XML Spy support regarding XML Spy
and Cocoon and this is what I've got from them:

"XML Spy offers not a Web Server but a B2B server
which can be used to process XML files via its COM
API.
We believe that XML Spy does not cover the
functionality that you are looking for."

--- "Piroumian, Konstantin" <KP...@flagship.ru>

=== message truncated ===

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

Re: AW: XML Spy becomes a tool we all were looking for

Posted by "Piroumian, Konstantin" <KP...@flagship.ru>.

Posted by Olga Agady <oa...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

How to contribute to documentation?

Posted by Richard Heintze <si...@yahoo.com>.
I need to write up some detailed documentation on how
to install tomcat/jsp, apache soap, cocoon and jboss
with IIS/Win2000 for my ISP. I've presently installed
tomcat/jsp and cocoon on my notebook and I'm about to
tackle soap and jboss. The documentation on
*.apache.org has been less than clear at times and
other times incorrect: I have had to dig thru the mail
archives to find the answers.

 I would feel proud if apache.org published my
documentation. It would also allow me to write it in
XML/XSLT and have a place to post it while my ISP
installs these products.

What is the procedure for volunteering my efforts for
my platforms?

     Thanks,
            Siegfried

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

Re: AW: XML Spy becomes a tool we all were looking for

Re: Wildcard Parameters in Sitemap

Posted by "Piroumian, Konstantin" <KP...@flagship.ru>.
Hi!

<skip>

> <map:match pattern="protected/**">
>     <map:act type="session-is-valid">
>       <map:act type="session-validator">
>         <map:parameter name="descriptor"
>            value="context://mmsc//descriptors/login-params.xml"/>
>         <map:parameter name="validate"
>            value="username"/>
>         <map:aggregate element="site">
>            <map:part src="cocoon:/{1}-screen.xml" element="screen"/>
>            <map:part src="docs/lookandfeel.xml" element="lookandfeel"/>
>         </map:aggregate>
>         <map:transform type="i18n">
>           <map:parameter name="src" value="docs/translations.xml"/>
>         </map:transform>
>         <map:serialize/>
>       </map:act>
>       <map:redirect-to session="true" uri="login"/>
>     </map:act>
>     <map:redirect-to session="false" uri="startsession"/>
> </map:match>
>

> Question 2:
> In the above example what would be the difference in using a single '*'
> instead of '**', I tried both and they seem to do the same thing.

Not exactly. ** goes down by the directory tree and * does not. E.g.:
*.jpg matches all JPG files in the current directory
**.jpg matches all JPG files in the current and sub-directories

> Question 3:
> In the above example the line:
>
> <map:parameter name="descriptor"
> value="context://mmsc//descriptors/login-params.xml"/>
>
> The value string as to have the prefix :'//mmsc//' which is actually the
> root application name. I don't think it should have to appear anywhere
> in this sitemap. Why can't I say:
>
> <map:parameter name="descriptor"
>      value="descriptors/login-params.xml"/>
>
> or is there something like 'context:' that gives me
> 'context://mmsc//' ?

There's something wrong. You don't need the application name when you are
using context:// protocol. Try this:

 <map:parameter name="descriptor"
 value="context:///descriptors/login-params.xml"/>

I use a rather old version of C2 and this works for me too:

 <map:parameter name="descriptor"
 value="context://descriptors/login-params.xml"/>

'descriptors' directory must be in the context root (in your case:
%TOMCAT_HOME%\webapps\mmsc).

> Mark Miller
> Web Architect
> Logica
> 819-3646

Best regards,

Konstantin Piroumian
Sr. Software engineer

Protek Flagship LLC
Phone: + 7 095 795 0520 (add. 1288)
Fax: + 7 095 795 0525
E-mail: kpiroumian@flagship.ru
http://www.protek.com

RE: Wildcard Parameters in Sitemap

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <vg...@hns.com>.
Mark,

> Question 1:
>
> Consider the two following map components, noting the position of {1}:
>
> This one works:
>
> <map:match pattern="protected/**">
>     <map:aggregate element="site">
>        <map:part src="cocoon:/{1}-screen.xml" element="screen"/>
>        <map:part src="docs/lookandfeel.xml"
>                  element="lookandfeel"/>
>     </map:aggregate>
>     <map:act type="session-is-valid">
>       <map:act type="session-validator">
>         <map:parameter name="descriptor"
>              value="context://mmsc//descriptors/login-params.xml"/>
>         <map:parameter name="validate"
>              value="username"/>
>         <map:transform type="i18n">
>            <map:parameter name="src" value="docs/translations.xml"/>
>         </map:transform>
>         <map:serialize/>
>       </map:act>
>       <map:redirect-to session="true" uri="login"/>
>     </map:act>
>     <map:redirect-to session="false" uri="startsession"/>
> </map:match>
>
> This one does not bind the * to the {1} parameter. Why?
>
> <map:match pattern="protected/**">
>     <map:act type="session-is-valid">
>       <map:act type="session-validator">
>         <map:parameter name="descriptor"
>            value="context://mmsc//descriptors/login-params.xml"/>
>         <map:parameter name="validate"
>            value="username"/>
>         <map:aggregate element="site">
>            <map:part src="cocoon:/{1}-screen.xml" element="screen"/>

Use {../../1}. Actions also can return parameters  - but you need parameter from the matcher.

>            <map:part src="docs/lookandfeel.xml" element="lookandfeel"/>
>         </map:aggregate>
>         <map:transform type="i18n">
>           <map:parameter name="src" value="docs/translations.xml"/>
>         </map:transform>
>         <map:serialize/>
>       </map:act>
>       <map:redirect-to session="true" uri="login"/>
>     </map:act>
>     <map:redirect-to session="false" uri="startsession"/>
> </map:match>
>

> Question 2:
> 	In the above example what would be the difference in using a single '*'
> instead of '**', I tried both and they seem to do the same thing.

* matches files, ** matches paths. The difference is that * do not matches "/".

Posted by Olga Agady <oa...@yahoo.com>.

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

Re: AW: XML Spy becomes a tool we all were looking for

Posted by andre powroznik <an...@uniway.be>.

Posted by "Piroumian, Konstantin" <KP...@flagship.ru>.

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Jörn Heid wrote:

> I do have a valid license and I use XMLSpy for generating schema and as an
> excellent editor. I think it's thee best editor around.
>
> The problem with XMLSpy is that it is only running on windows.
>
> So I do not know if it's the tool all of us are looking for ;)

Plus it does not support any authorization and authentication, which
would be a must if I let my content writers at my XML data :)

Also it should have some deployment options, e.g. Cocoon.

Ulrich