Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by xingguo chen <xi...@wgemini.homeip.net> on 2003/01/29 10:41:12 UTC

[users@httpd] install apache2 in /programs/apache2

I installed Apache2 by 3 steps.

1. I installed under /programs/apache2.
2. Edited /programs/apache2/cong/http.conf
   a. Listen 192.168.0.2:80  ( this is my local IP)
   b  ServerName linuxfan.dyndns.org:80
3. go to /programs/apache2/bin, type command # ./apachectl start
   and i got message 'httpd (pid 8309) already running'

then open a browser,type in url "http://localhost" and
"http://192.168.0.2"

but couldn't connect. anyone can help?

Thanks.

Eric

Re: [users@httpd] install apache2 in /programs/apache2

Posted by Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>.
xingguo chen wrote:

It is considered bad form to begin a new thread/question by "replying"
to an existing thread.  If you are not answering a previous post, then
send a "new" message.

>I installed Apache2 by 3 steps.
>
>1. I installed under /programs/apache2.

You don't say, but from the non-FHS compliant location, I'm guessing
this is on a legacy OS? (see URLs below)

>2. Edited /programs/apache2/cong/http.conf
>   a. Listen 192.168.0.2:80  ( this is my local IP)

Unless there is a pressing need to listen *only* to a given address,
leave this commented out.  You don't need it.  This may or may not be
the only problem, but is a starting point.

<snip all the stuff that should have already been gone>

For better results when using a mail list, follow the guidelines
presented in these papers:

gt                                     kk5st@sbcglobal.net
If you find you've dug yourself into a hole, stop digging.

Re: [users@httpd] install apache2 in /programs/apache2

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 03:41 AM 1/29/2003, xingguo chen wrote:
>I installed Apache2 by 3 steps.
>
>1. I installed under /programs/apache2.
>2. Edited /programs/apache2/cong/http.conf
>   a. Listen 192.168.0.2:80  ( this is my local IP)
>   b  ServerName linuxfan.dyndns.org:80

Since your listen doesn't include 127.0.0.1 it won't respond to the local
loopback (http://localhost/).  You will have to explicitly hit http://192.168.0.2
or http://linuxfan.dyndns.org if that name resolves correctly to your IP.

>3. go to /programs/apache2/bin, type command # ./apachectl start
>   and i got message 'httpd (pid 8309) already running'

Perhaps you meant to stop then start your server (or... restart.)

Perhaps you have another instance installed by your linux distro
that was already runnung.