Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/15 00:56:41 UTC

inter-widget communication

For anyone interested in the topic of inter-widget communication in Wookie, there is a discussion over on the TEL Europe site about IWC solution they have used for their installation of Wookie:

http://www.teleurope.eu/mod/groups/topicposts.php?topic=47530&group_guid=754

Today I also discussed the same topic with partners in a new EU project which will be using Wookie as part of developing solutions for mashups involving telco services (voice, video, media etc):

http://www.ict-omelette.eu/home

If you're interested in IWC and want to contribute to its development in Wookie for a future release, then please do discuss it here on the list. We also have an issue in the tracker scheduled against release 0.9.1:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WOOKIE-133

Re: inter-widget communication

Posted by Bernhard Hoisl <be...@wu.ac.at>.
> Can you templates be sensibly added to/compliment of our existing widget
> templates? See http://incubator.apache.org/wookie/building-widgets.html

I gave your template a quick look and basically the IWC components could
be seen as an addition to it. I didn't create my template using "ant
seed-widget" but as far as I see it this is no problem because I tried
to stick as close as possible to the widget developers guide.

The background for using a widget-template in our project is that
everybody can use IWC functionality easily (therefore the provided
library) and that we have a common look and feel. Furthermore, not
everybody is developing using a wookie instance and therefore I didn't
come up with build routines.

> If this code is already publicly viewable let me know, I'll have a look
> at it to see if it is a natural complement. This part of the code I can
> review.

Yes, the template is publicly viewable by checking it out from our svn
repos:

svn co
https://ltfll.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ltfll/Wp2/widgets/_template/src/

There is a README trying to sum up how to use the template and its
functions. Regarding IWC, you may want to have a closer look at
./lib/iwc.js. But be aware that some functionality is sepcifically
targeted to our purpose (e.g. we are using status messages displaying
the status of IWC communication which relies on an "ltfll-footer" <div>
which needs to be inserted at the bottom of the widget).

But some parts could easily be generalized and may be included in the
general widget template.

-Bernhard

Re: inter-widget communication

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 18/10/2010 14:12, Bernhard Hoisl wrote:
>> Committership is earned through participation. The barrier is not high,
>> I'd say your open engagement with the community so far is an excellent
>> start, however, we do need to see a few patches via the issue tracker
>> first.
>>
>> There's also some legal and infrastructural to go through before someone
>> can have commit access so even if we were to vote you in as a committer
>> it would take a little time.
>>
>> Please provide a patch via https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WOOKIE
>> Please remember smaller incremental patches are much easier to review
>> and thus get processed more quickly.
>>
>> (if you need any help creating the patches let us know)
>
> OK, I didn't know that committing is undergoing such a formal process. I
> just thought in terms of simplicity and speed :-)

The barriers are low, but not quite that low ;-)

> So, I have provided a patch and put it on the issue tracker (I hope I
> did it the right way, otherwise just correct me please).

That's fantastic. Thank you. I've given it a cursory glance and it looks
fine by me. However, we really need Scott or Kris to review this as I
don't know the background to this work.

I'd like to see tests accompanying all new methods, but the project does
not yet have a policy on this.

> BTW: For our project LTfLL (www.ltfll-project.org) I designed a
> widget-template which includes libraries for easy handling of shared
> data and for receiving updates - especially targeted for using IWC with
> Wookie and the coupling widget features provided as the patch.

Can you templates be sensibly added to/compliment of our existing widget
templates? See http://incubator.apache.org/wookie/building-widgets.html

If this code is already publicly viewable let me know, I'll have a look
at it to see if it is a natural complement. This part of the code I can
review.

Ross

Re: inter-widget communication

Posted by Bernhard Hoisl <be...@wu.ac.at>.
> Committership is earned through participation. The barrier is not high,
> I'd say your open engagement with the community so far is an excellent
> start, however, we do need to see a few patches via the issue tracker
> first.
>
> There's also some legal and infrastructural to go through before someone
> can have commit access so even if we were to vote you in as a committer
> it would take a little time.
>
> Please provide a patch via https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WOOKIE
> Please remember smaller incremental patches are much easier to review
> and thus get processed more quickly.
>
> (if you need any help creating the patches let us know)

OK, I didn't know that committing is undergoing such a formal process. I
just thought in terms of simplicity and speed :-)

So, I have provided a patch and put it on the issue tracker (I hope I
did it the right way, otherwise just correct me please).

BTW: For our project LTfLL (www.ltfll-project.org) I designed a
widget-template which includes libraries for easy handling of shared
data and for receiving updates - especially targeted for using IWC with
Wookie and the coupling widget features provided as the patch. Maybe it
is of some use to anybody because we set up some routines to handle
shared data (e.g. not only as strings but also as JSON objects). There
are a few issues when using IWC the way we are using it (all widgets of
one user). So to minimize network traffic you can specify that widgets
only listen to some shared data variables or by using JSON objects we
store everything as one shared variable and are using a namespace
metaphor. This means that a widget gets bound to a certain namespace and
only reacts on updates therein. Just as a quick glimpse what we are
trying to get to work ... Again, if somebody is interested in such stuff
as well just contact me.

-Bernhard

Re: inter-widget communication

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 18/10/2010 08:37, Bernhard Hoisl wrote:
>> It should be noted that Bernhard Hoisl is leading this effort and is
>> discussing things here on our lists. I hope that this means we are going
>> to get the code too. It's a shame to see this being developed outside of
>> our community.
>
> I would be happy to share the code.

Excellent news.

Posted by Bernhard Hoisl <be...@wu.ac.at>.
> It should be noted that Bernhard Hoisl is leading this effort and is
> discussing things here on our lists. I hope that this means we are going
> to get the code too. It's a shame to see this being developed outside of
> our community.

I would be happy to share the code. The easiest for me would be to have
commit rights to the svn repository. I would then incorporate my changes
as proposed by Scott (default turned off with a switch in
widgetserver.properties to turn IWC on and state the widget coupling
variables (e.g. apiKey + sharedDataKey)).

- Bernhard

Re: inter-widget communication

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 15/10/2010 00:56, Scott Wilson wrote:
> For anyone interested in the topic of inter-widget communication in
> Wookie, there is a discussion over on the TEL Europe site about IWC
> solution they have used for their installation of Wookie:
>
> http://www.teleurope.eu/mod/groups/topicposts.php?topic=47530&group_guid=754

It should be noted that Bernhard Hoisl is leading this effort and is
discussing things here on our lists. I hope that this means we are going
to get the code too. It's a shame to see this being developed outside of
our community.

>  Today I also discussed the same topic with partners in a new EU
> project which will be using Wookie as part of developing solutions
> for mashups involving telco services (voice, video, media etc):
>
> http://www.ict-omelette.eu/home

A perfect example of why it should all come here. It's terrible that
people are wasting time and resources duplicating work.

> If you're interested in IWC and want to contribute to its development
> in Wookie for a future release, then please do discuss it here on the
> list.

+1