Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Mirko Friedenhagen <mf...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/25 22:12:45 UTC

maven-release-plugin multimodule creating additional subversion tags for each module

Hello,

Dear all,

in our company we have a policy that every released artifact should
have a release tag in Subversion assuming tagging is a cheap operation
in subversion.

So given a standard multimodule project:

foo/trunk/pom.xml (groupId=foo,artifactId=parent,version=1.0-SNAPSHOT)
foo/trunk/core/pom.xml
(groupId=foo,artifactId=core,parent=foo.parent:1.0-SNAPSHOT)
foo/trunk/app1/pom.xml
(groupId=foo,artifactId=app1,parent=foo.parent:1.0-SNAPSHOT)
foo/trunk/app2/pom.xml
(groupId=foo,artifactId=app2,parent=foo.parent:1.0-SNAPSHOT)

I want to have the following tags after running mvn -B release:prepare
release:perform

foo/tags/parent-1.0
foo/tags/core-1.0
foo/tags/app1-1.0
foo/tags/app2-1.0

Currently only foo/tags/parent-1.0 is created. Any ideas on how to achieve this?

Regards
Mirko
--
http://illegalstateexception.blogspot.com/
https://github.com/mfriedenhagen/

Re: maven-release-plugin multimodule creating additional subversion tags for each module

Posted by Mirko Friedenhagen <mf...@gmail.com>.
Well, I implemented a solution, which anyone interested can retrieve
from github, see: https://github.com/mfriedenhagen/multi-module-svn.

Regards Mirko

Posted by Mirko Friedenhagen <mf...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 10:21 PM, Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Hi Mirko!
>
> If you release the whole project at once, then you obviously only get exactly one tag!
>
> You'd need to run releases on each module on it's own to get the single tags. But I'm not sure if this is really a good thing...
>
> What is the goal you like to achieve? What's wrong for you with that tag?

Well, let's say we deploy app1-1.8 and now want to fix a bug in this
app. If we always copy the *whole trunk* beneath a tag called
app1-1.8, we just have to checkout this tag and do not need to know,
that version 1.8 of app1 is found in SVN beneath a tag called
parent-1.8. I am just experimenting with the scm plugin attached to
the deploy phase right know.

It is our policy that all components beneath a common trunk are
strongly coupled and should all be released newly if something changes
beneath it. We have used this scheme for a couple of years now, not
only with maven but with C++ and Python projects as well, where one
Makefile could produce several RPMs and implemented automated checks
for getting postings to a newsgroup with the last QA notes from the
former release and doing a quick gatekeeper code review in our QA team
examining the diff between the last releases to make sure hotfixes do
really only fix the hot issue(s) :-).

Regards
Mirko

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Hi Mirko!

If you release the whole project at once, then you obviously only get exactly one tag!

You'd need to run releases on each module on it's own to get the single tags. But I'm not sure if this is really a good thing...

What is the goal you like to achieve? What's wrong for you with that tag?

LieGrue,
strub