Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Conal Tuohy <co...@paradise.net.nz> on 2003/07/21 09:57:39 UTC

Cocoon + Apache + mod_proxy + mod_cache problems

I am putting an reverse-proxying cache in front of a Cocoon site.

The proxy is Apache httpd version 2 with mod_proxy and mod_cache.

Some of the pages are cached by Apache httpd and are served up again and
again without asking Tomcat/Cocoon. Once I've requested a page I can even
shut down Tomcat and the page will still be served by Apache (until it
expires). This is great.

But other pages always trigger a request to Cocoon. It seems that Cocoon
must return a Last-Modified header in order for the caching to work the way
I want it to - is this right? Some of my pipelines don't do this (possibly
because they're based on DirectoryGenerator?) and they always trigger a
request to Cocoon. I've added an expires parameter to the pipeline, but
Apache still checks with Cocoon on every request.

In Apache's conf file I've added the directive IgnoreNoLastModified (I think
that's what its called), but this is not enough. The page is cached, but
when the page is requested again it still triggers a request to Cocoon.

I want to find out how to control Cocoon so that it will be able to work
optimally with a front-end cache. Can anyone tell me? I've read the Wiki
page about using mod_proxy but it doesn't go into this level of detail. Does
anyone else have any useful tips in this area?

Cheers!

Con