Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by beichuang <be...@yahoo.com> on 2000/10/18 11:42:51 UTC

Correct a mistake comment with JDBC/ODBC and another further question!!

hello, all

I verified the Cocoon1.8 & JDBC/ODBC bridge class and Turbine engine again this morning, and here is my final result:

The adaptor name DBOdbc is no use, as to why I succeed yesterday, maybe I didn't update two cocoon.properties file both in webapp directory below tomcat director "tomcat/webapp/cocoon.properties" and my new example directory "webapp/mysamples/cocoon.properties".

So it means you have to change a line like this to fool Turbine to load JDBC/ODBC java class:

#a trick to replace informix driver with jdbc2odbc driver
#  processor.xsp.pool.database.adaptor.DBInformix=com.informix.jdbc.IfxDriver
processor.xsp.pool.database.adaptor.DBInformix=sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver

However, I find that if I just define driver in xsp file instead of using tag <esql:use-connection>MyDBOdbc</esql:use-connection>:

<esql:execute-query>
<esql:driver>sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver</esql:driver>
<esql:dburl>jdbc:odbc:MyDBTest</esql:dburl>
<esql:username>test</esql:username>
<esql:password>test</esql:password>
         <esql:query>
                SELECT * FROM tabell1
          </esql:query>
              <esql:results>
                <ID><esql:get-string column="ID"/></ID>
                <FN><esql:get-string column="First_Name"/></FN>
              </esql:results>
              <esql:no-results>
                <error>no results were found</error>
              </esql:no-results>
</esql:execute-query>

then, I won't bother to setup turbine engine in cocoon.properties file.
So I wonder what the difference is between using turbine engine or not? any outstanding advantages with turbine engine?

Addtionally, Now I wonder whether I can set a page-division to my request? Normally, if a sql request get too many records, I would rather get some fixed amount records each time, for example, just return 20 records once, but still I have to continue the query, is it easy to do with cocoon? I know one can get the whole records once, and just display some, but maybe it is not the best solution, anymore has comments about this? I think it very common, and maybe can be put into consideration earlier.

Best regards!