Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Lisa & Bo Danielsson <li...@telia.com> on 2015/09/17 14:11:08 UTC

installing problems OO4.1.1

Hello,
Why isn´t it possible to automaticly update existing 3.1 to 4.1 in my Windows XP ?
Also when I`m trying to manually update, messages like auther unknown... and verifying signature, occurs and the installation fail.
Am I doing something badly wrong or is my computer in the wrong mode.
Asking for an easy and positive answer, understanable for a normal user.

Best regards
Bo

RE: installing problems OO4.1.1

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Rory has provided information about the actual process.

The process is to download and install a new version.  This is common for open-source distributions.

I could easily be mistaken, since I have not done this in a long time, but I believe
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 (the latest) will install side-by-side with an older OpenOffice.org 3.1, although you may need to set some preferences over again.

You may want to uninstall 3.1 yourself afterwards, using the Windows XP Control Panel, if AOO 4.1.1 does not give you the option while installing.

Automatic updating has never been part of OpenOffice, as far as I know, and Apache OpenOffice has not been designed to do it.  It is unlikely that we will ever do so for Windows XP.

 - Dennis

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 14:11:08 +0200
"Lisa & Bo  Danielsson" <li...@telia.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> Why isn´t it possible to automaticly update existing 3.1 to 4.1 in my Windows XP ?
> Also when I`m trying to manually update, messages like auther unknown... and verifying signature, occurs and the installation fail.
> Am I doing something badly wrong or is my computer in the wrong mode.
> Asking for an easy and positive answer, understanable for a normal user.
>
> Best regards
> Bo

I have just installed OpenOffice on a Windows XP computer  to verify the process.

The "unknown author" message is a Windows security message; if you were not prompted for permission to install a product from a non-Windows source, your computer could easily be infected by unwanted and perhaps dangerous programs, so I don't feel that such a request is objectionable.

If the "verifying signature" message appears, it suggests that your download is corrupt or incomplete, as does the failure of the install.  You can verify the integrity of the downloaded file by the methods set out in
http://www.openoffice.org/download/checksums.html.

My trial install proceeded quickly, requiring a few simple clicks in reply to requests for permission or information.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>