Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/02 06:31:10 UTC

Re: solr as the data store

Problems:

1) If you get the schema wrong it is painful to live with. You may need to
extract all data and reindex with your new schema. To ease this I wrote an
XSL script that massaged the default Solr XML output into the Solr XML input
format. Extracting is really slow and this process took days.

2) If you get a corrupted Lucene index, restoring from an old one will throw
away all of your intervening updates.

I really don't recommend this course. If you can archive your input data on
tape, you may be very happy you did so. If you must use a DB, MySQL has a
table format that archives into ZIP format files. (It does not make indexes;
all searches are table scans.)

Lance

--
Lance Norskog