Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by "arale.jianglei@gmail.com" <ar...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/24 14:58:23 UTC

Can I set more than one dfs.name.dir?

Hi all:
	I found that I can set more than one dfs.name.dir in hadoop-site.xml
like below:
<property>
  <name>dfs.name.dir</name>
  <value>/opt/hadoop/dfs/name1</value>
  <value>/opt/..../name2</value>
  <description>Determines where on the local filesystem the NDFS name
node
     should store the name table.</description>
</property>

Does this mean I have a backup of my namenode info? Or this is for some
other special reasons?

Best Regards,

Jianglei
2006-11-24

RE: Can I set more than one dfs.name.dir?

Posted by Dhruba Borthakur <dh...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Your reasoning is absolutely correct. The Namenode writes its metadata to
all these directories. This setting automatically replicates the Namenode
metadata to multiple locations.

Thanks,
dhruba