Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Alex P <ap...@kolosy.com> on 2009/11/09 03:48:24 UTC

pull replication + firewalls

hey all,

i was trying to pull down a db from a remote server via pull replication to
my laptop. now, it's windows, and therefore suspect, but this may be
something else. when i attempt pull replication initiated from windows 0.91
laptop to ubuntu 0.10 server, it crashes with this stack:

[error] [<0.103.0>] {error_report,<0.22.0>,
    {<0.103.0>,crash_report,
     [[{pid,<0.103.0>},
       {registered_name,[]},
       {error_info,
           {exit,
               {badarg,
                   [{ets,lookup,
                        [ibrowse_lb,
                         {"server removed to protect the innocent",<port
number>}]},
                    {ibrowse,send_req,6},
                    {couch_rep,do_http_request,5},
                    {couch_rep,get_db_info,1},
                    {couch_rep,init,1},
                    {gen_server,init_it,6},
                    {proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3}]},
               [{gen_server,init_it,6},{proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3}]}},
       {initial_call,{couch_rep,init,['Argument__1']}},
       {ancestors,
           [couch_rep_sup,couch_primary_services,couch_server_sup,<0.1.0>]},
       {messages,[]},
       {links,[<0.53.0>]},
       {dictionary,[]},
       {trap_exit,true},
       {status,running},
       {heap_size,610},
       {stack_size,23},
       {reductions,320}],

when i decided to try to push from the ubuntu server to the laptop (ports
5984 was opened on both attempts), everything went swimmingly. this last
part makes me think that may be this is a firewall issue of some sort. for
pull replication, do the dbs attempt to talk over any port other than 5984
(or whatever is configured locally)?

thanks,
alex.

Re: pull replication + firewalls

Posted by David Coallier <da...@gmail.com>.
2009/11/9 Alex P <ap...@kolosy.com>:
> hey all,
>
> i was trying to pull down a db from a remote server via pull replication to
> my laptop. now, it's windows, and therefore suspect, but this may be
> something else. when i attempt pull replication initiated from windows 0.91
> laptop to ubuntu 0.10 server, it crashes with this stack:
>
> [error] [<0.103.0>] {error_report,<0.22.0>,
>    {<0.103.0>,crash_report,
>     [[{pid,<0.103.0>},
>       {registered_name,[]},
>       {error_info,
>           {exit,
>               {badarg,
>                   [{ets,lookup,
>                        [ibrowse_lb,
>                         {"server removed to protect the innocent",<port
> number>}]},
>                    {ibrowse,send_req,6},
>                    {couch_rep,do_http_request,5},
>                    {couch_rep,get_db_info,1},
>                    {couch_rep,init,1},
>                    {gen_server,init_it,6},
>                    {proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3}]},
>               [{gen_server,init_it,6},{proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3}]}},
>       {initial_call,{couch_rep,init,['Argument__1']}},
>       {ancestors,
>           [couch_rep_sup,couch_primary_services,couch_server_sup,<0.1.0>]},
>       {messages,[]},
>       {links,[<0.53.0>]},
>       {dictionary,[]},
>       {trap_exit,true},
>       {status,running},
>       {heap_size,610},
>       {stack_size,23},
>       {reductions,320}],
>
> when i decided to try to push from the ubuntu server to the laptop (ports
> 5984 was opened on both attempts), everything went swimmingly. this last
> part makes me think that may be this is a firewall issue of some sort. for
> pull replication, do the dbs attempt to talk over any port other than 5984
> (or whatever is configured locally)?

Before anything, have yout ried turning off the windows firewall and
testing the pull to make sure the problem isn't with the Firewall? I'm
only asking because you say it went well with the other pull so one
wonders :)

Cheers,

--
Slan,