Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by sunil patil <sd...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/14 09:42:06 UTC

Need help on classloading related problem(What is shared/lib in Apache Geronimo)

Hi,

I am trying to install Pluto 1.1 portal server into Geronimo. Till now i am
able to get About and Admin portlets working. Both these portlets are part
of pluto.war. Now i am facing one classloader related problem when i try to
install HelloWorld Portlet in HelloWorld.war (Separate war).

*Basic Problem* -> I have A.war and B.war they depend on Class1 which is
part of 1.jar. What i want is A.war should create object of Class1 and that
object should be accessible to class in B.war so where should i put
1.jarand how should i configure both
A.war and B.war so that they will be able to look at this class.

*Detailed Description ->*
Thing is Pluto portlet has PortalDriverServlet which is controller servlet
and is shipped with Pluto.war. When it gets request for HelloWorldportlet it
wraps that request in object of RenderRequestImpl.java which is in
pluto-container-1.1.0-dev.jar and sets is as request parameter and passes
control to HelloWorldPortlet. Now HelloWOrldPortlet uses
PlutoServlet.java class for handling request and this is again part of
pluto-container-1.1.0-dev.jar. When PlutoServlet tries to get object of
RenderRequestImpl.java from request it throws ClassCastException because
both of them have different class loader.
Till now i tried to
1) Create pluto in repository folder containing
pluto-container-1.1.0-dev.jar  and add dependencies from both pluto.war and
HelloWorldPortlet.war on pluto repository. But in that case i get
ClasscastException.
2) I tried copying all jars in <Geronimo_Base>/lib and removed dependencies
but that does not work either
3) I tried copying all jars in <Geronimo_Base>/repository/geronimo/jars and
that does not work.

Can you please let me know what is equivalent of shared/lib in Geronimo.
Place where i could copy jars used by more than one application

Thank You
Sunil

Re: Need help on classloading related problem(What is shared/lib in Apache Geronimo)

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Hi Sunil,

In Geronimo 1.1 you can add a jar to a shared library in Geronimo by
doing the following:

-  Add your jars into this location:  <geronimo-install-root>/var/shared/lib

-  Add the following dependency into your geronimo deployment plan:
    <environment>
        <dependencies>
            <dependency>
                <groupId>geronimo</groupId>
                <artifactId>sharedlib</artifactId>
            </dependency>
        </dependencies>
    </environment>

The sharedlib support is new in Geronimo 1.1.

HTH,
Joe