Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Elodie Gumbs <el...@hotmail.com> on 2019/02/27 15:11:45 UTC

Non printing character on toolbar

I’ve just downloaded the latest version of Open Office and found out that I when I click the non-printing character on the toolbar it doesn’t activate.  It may be old-fashioned but I like to see exactly where I am when typing or revising a document.  How do I get it back?  Thanks much.

Re: Non printing character on toolbar

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com.INVALID>.
At 15:11 27/02/2019 +0000, Elodie Gumbs wrote:
>I've just downloaded the latest version of Open Office ...

There is no "latest version": all versions have numbers.

>... and found out that I when I click the non-printing character on
>the toolbar it doesn't activate.

What's your evidence for this? Do you see no raised points where you
have spaces? Do you not even see the pilcrow to indicate the end of a
paragraph?

The raised points to indicate individual space characters must be
displayed using some character in the character set: this may be
Unicode U+00B7 "Middle dot". Your seeing this relies on that
character existing in whatever font you are using, of course. If you
are using an obscure font, you may not see anything. For example, it
does not appear in my Wingdings or Webdings fonts.

>It may be old-fashioned but I like to see exactly where I am when
>typing or revising a document.

You can see where you are by the flashing insertion point - which may
be a little difficult to spot if it coincides with a text boundary.
(And I've a vague notion that it may be less visible than in some
earlier versions of OpenOffice.) But the insertion point always
shows, of course - without your needing to toggle on the display of
non-printing characters.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Non printing character on toolbar

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com.INVALID>.
At 16:58 27/02/2019 +0000, Elodie Gumbs wrote:
>The icon is on the toolbar but when you click on it or position the
>cursor at the end of a line and hit return nothing happens.

You should at least see the insertion point move to the beginning of
a (possibly new) line, as you have inserted a paragraph break. But if
the line was fairly full, this may not be easy to spot. If you really
mean that nothing happens, your keyboard must be faulty or
disconnected or switched off or suffering from low battery!

Brian Barker

Re: Non printing character on toolbar

Posted by Elodie Gumbs <el...@hotmail.com>.

> I’ve just downloaded the latest version of Open Office and found out that I when I click the non-printing character on the toolbar it doesn’t activate.  It may be old-fashioned but I like to see exactly where I am when typing or revising a document.  How do I get it back?  Thanks much.

/View /Nonprinting characters should do it for you.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>