Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> on 2017/05/01 21:55:36 UTC

Re: [PROPOSAL] Pulsar - proposal for Apache Incubation

Hi -

I had a discussion with Joe and another gentleman involved in Pulsar.

They asked how long incubation takes. I answered that it depends. We reviewed some of the steps needed in Incubation particularly:

- Release process with correct LICENSE and NOTICE
- Community building requirement - especially accepting and promoting someone new from outside the initial committers.
- Everything on the ML meaning decisions which might be made in conversation need to be there for a review over a few rotations of the planet. I mentioned BFDLs not being what is wanted and told the 10 year old story of POI’s OOXML flame.
- Build infrastructure questions regarding unit tests some of which will be preferred on clusters. Some are currently proprietary. I’m not sure what Apache Infra currently supports so negotiation is required.

I think that there is a good chance for a diverse community that will not be wholly dependent on Yahoo.

End result - I am willing to sign up as a Mentor for Pulsar.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dheeban Govindarajan <sg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Taylor,

Thanks for the information. Will check the details out from the website. I
went through once. Also,will follow this conversation. Its good to learn
this process anyway.

Thanks,
Dheeban

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.