Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by James Berry <jb...@criticalpath.com> on 2000/09/08 21:55:23 UTC

Re: ShortenFiles.pl doesn't appear to work

Hi Michael,

Well, it works for me! But really, I think your problem is clear.
You're running it on a Mac OS 9.0 system, under MacPerl. In this
situation the interface between the application (Macperl) and the OS
supports only short file names. Since MacPerl doesn't know how to ask
the OS for long file names, the code will never detect file names that
are too long, and therefore will never shorten them.

You need to run ShortenFiles in an environment where you've got long
file names. By the time you get the files to your OS 9.0 system, the
names have already been incorrectly (read "u npredictably") shortened irreparably.

I've been successful in running ShortenFiles under Mac OS X. I suspect
it works in most unix environments and probably under Windows
environments that support long file names.

Does that help?

-jdb

Michael Klem wrote:

> I ran the Pearl script "ShortenFiles.pl" last night after I downloaded xerces-c-src_2000-09-05.tar.gz and it didn't shorten any of the file names. It created the "Macsrc" folder and copied all the files into it but that is it. I don't know Pearl well enough to debug it, but I added some print statements that should have been excuted but never where. Has anyone else had success with this?
>
> I am using MacPearl 5.2.0 on a G4 with OS 9.0.4
> --
> -----
> Michael Klem
>
> <michael dot klem @ creativeplanet dot com>

 James D. Berry
 mailto:jberry@criticalpath.com
 vox:503.265.1213 fax:503.222.3020

Re: ShortenFiles.pl doesn't appear to work

Posted by Michael Klem <mi...@earthlink.net>.
Thanks James,

after noticing that I misspelled MacPerl and that you wrote the script to be run on OS X it makes a lot of sense.