Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by alan milligan <al...@hotmail.com> on 2001/11/06 05:50:21 UTC

debugging postgresql

Hi,

I find myself with a very complicated Postgresql environment, and I am sure
I am suffering lock contentions on different connections, however, I am
struggling to get the postmaster process to tell me anything.

I am using Apache::DBI, DBI, and DBIx::Recordset.  In addition, I am running
multiple virtual hosts, all of whom PerlSetEnv DBI_DSN to something
different.

I am familiar with DBI_TRACE and DBIx::Recordset::Debug (although I don't
seem to be able to PerlSetVar DBIx::Recordset::Debug :( ).

The Postgresql (7.1.2) documentation is very light on how to get debug out
of it.  I have unsuccessfully tried the pg_options file.  There is some
suggestion that it uses syslog local0. I had no joy with the syslog.conf
file either.

Does anyone have any recommendations about how to setup my Postgres to
divulge debug information?

Cheers, Alan

Re: debugging postgresql

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
Hi,

> I am familiar with DBI_TRACE and DBIx::Recordset::Debug (although I don't
> seem to be able to PerlSetVar DBIx::Recordset::Debug :( ).

I can't help you with PostgreSQL, but to enable debugging for
DBIx::Recordset you can't use PerlSetVar, but a startup script and set the
variable e.g.

PerlRequire /path/to/startup.pl

and startup.pl

use DBIx::Recordset ;
$DBIx::Recordset::Debug = 2 ;

This works as long as nobodyelse sets $DBIx::Recordset::Debug to another
value (Since it is a simple global, any programm can change it)

Gerald