Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> on 2005/02/11 18:30:29 UTC

Message based rolling trigger

I had what seemed like a reasonable request from one of my client to
have a way to programatically initiate a rollover.  What I think would
work well would be to modify the signature for
TriggeringPolicy.isTriggeringEvent to include the event in addition to
the file and to add a EventBasedTriggeringPolicy that you could set
level, logger, message or any combination.  Any thoughts?  The
interface signature change would break any existing implementations of
TriggeringPolicy but since it is a newly introduced interface, that
should not be a problem.  Any thoughts?

Re: Message based rolling trigger

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Saturday 12 February 2005 01:38, Ceki Gülcü wrote:
> No objections from me.
>
> I've heard of rollovers based on date and size but never on message
> contents. I am curious about the use case.

I can think of one from the Process Control industry;

A lot of Process Control is operating around 'batch processing' and/or
'recipes' (not necessarily got to do with food). All "output" related to a
'batch' must be archived for later references, and although personally I
would not bother with log files, I could imagine some people think that is a
good idea.

Cheers
Niclas

Re: Message based rolling trigger