Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Inder Dhillon <dh...@cs.dal.ca> on 2007/06/06 08:48:27 UTC

Axis2: How to measure the time taken by Axis2 engine to process the request/reply SOAP messages

Hello

I'll really appreciate if someone can suggest me how to measure the time
taken by Axis2 engine to process the messages?

Thanks

Inder

Re: Axis2: How to measure the time taken by Axis2 engine to process the request/reply SOAP messages

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Exactly. The timers inside Java and the OS are not very accurate,
especially for small numbers. Unless you are doing something very
serious, the modules are probably going to take microseconds to run.
Therefore a statistical load driver test is much more effective than
individual timers.

Paul

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: Axis2: How to measure the time taken by Axis2 engine to process the request/reply SOAP messages

Posted by David Illsley <da...@gmail.com>.
Inder,

Posted by Michele Mazzucco <Mi...@ncl.ac.uk>.
Inder,

since you already have your own modules it would be very easy to take
the timestamp of the incoming message and save it into the op. context
(not the message context, because the out message context differs!) and
take it again when the processing is finished (i.e. during the out
phase).

HTH,
Michele

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: Axis2: How to measure the time taken by Axis2 engine to process the request/reply SOAP messages

Posted by Michele Mazzucco <Mi...@ncl.ac.uk>.
Paul,

the previous blog entry is related to this one (that's why he says "for
the fifth time this year...")
http://blog.covalent.net/roller/covalent/entry/20070308
where the server handles 16000 connections.

Michele

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Aha

Reading the blog more closely, I see that AB really is doing something
cunning. The Java version is truly threaded so won't have the same
issues. That said, you can still be damn effective with a single
thread. The CICS mainframe software that most banks and ATMs run on is

On 6/6/07, Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting blog! Thanks for the pointer. I'm not sure I understand
> the comment about single threading. Certainly AB allows you to send
> multiple simultaneous requests. If its singlethreaded then its pretty
> cunning about it.
>
> Anyway, part of the HTTPCore project in Apache has a multi-threaded
> Java version of AB. This also supports chunking and HTTP1.1 keepalive.
> Unfortunately there isn't a build yet, but we've used it to test
> Synapse. https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/httpcomponents/httpcore/tags/4.0-alpha4/contrib/src/main/java/org/apache/http/contrib/benchmark/
>
> We will take a look at hosting a build on wso2.org.
>
> Paul
>
> On 6/6/07, Michele Mazzucco <Mi...@ncl.ac.uk> wrote:
> > Paul,
> >
> > maybe ab is not the best tool to use...
> > http://weblogs.java.net/blog/sdo/archive/2007/03/ab_considered_h.html
> >

> > Michele
> >
> > On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 08:47 +0100, Paul Fremantle wrote:
> > > We did some benchmarking of Axis2 here
> > > http://wso2.org/library/91
> > >
> > > We used ab which is part of the Apache HTTPD project.
> > >
> > > Paul

> Paul Fremantle
> OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair
>
> blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
> paul@wso2.com

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: Axis2: How to measure the time taken by Axis2 engine to process the request/reply SOAP messages

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Interesting blog! Thanks for the pointer. I'm not sure I understand
the comment about single threading. Certainly AB allows you to send
multiple simultaneous requests. If its singlethreaded then its pretty
cunning about it.

Anyway, part of the HTTPCore project in Apache has a multi-threaded
Java version of AB. This also supports chunking and HTTP1.1 keepalive.
Unfortunately there isn't a build yet, but we've used it to test
Synapse. https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/httpcomponents/httpcore/tags/4.0-alpha4/contrib/src/main/java/org/apache/http/contrib/benchmark/

We will take a look at hosting a build on wso2.org.

Paul

On 6/6/07, Michele Mazzucco <Mi...@ncl.ac.uk> wrote:
> Paul,
>
> maybe ab is not the best tool to use...
> http://weblogs.java.net/blog/sdo/archive/2007/03/ab_considered_h.html
>

> Michele
>
> On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 08:47 +0100, Paul Fremantle wrote:
> > We did some benchmarking of Axis2 here
> > http://wso2.org/library/91
> >
> > We used ab which is part of the Apache HTTPD project.
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > On 6/6/07, Inder Dhillon <dh...@cs.dal.ca> wrote:
> > >

> > > Hello
> > >

> > > I'll really appreciate if someone can suggest me how to measure the time
> > > taken by Axis2 engine to process the messages?
> > >

> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Inder

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: Axis2: How to measure the time taken by Axis2 engine to process the request/reply SOAP messages

Posted by Michele Mazzucco <Mi...@ncl.ac.uk>.
Paul,

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.

--
Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: Axis2: How to measure the time taken by Axis2 engine to process the request/reply SOAP messages

Posted by Charitha Kankanamge <ch...@wso2.com>.
Hi,
Apache Jmeter can also be used. Have a look at the following links.

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#SOAP/XML-RPC_Request

http://wso2.org/library/1085

regards
Charitha