Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by BorekB <bo...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/27 01:41:50 UTC

Open declaration (F3, ctrl+click) jumps to wrong location in Flash Builder

In Flash Builder, when I click-through to the framework source code, I
usually end up somewhere close to the symbol declaration but not precisely
on it (I usually end up a few lines away). Is this a Flash Builder bug and
therefore irrelevant for this list or does FB use, I don't know, some
generated symbol index that possibly Apache Flex has got wrong?

Thanks,
Borek

Re: Open declaration (F3, ctrl+click) jumps to wrong location in Flash Builder

Posted by Alessandro Palombaro <al...@gmail.com>.
I also experience this issue. The distance fb takes me from the actual
declaration varies between classes, sometimes a few lines, other times way
off.

Not a big issue though as once im in the package 'ctrl + o' and searching
that way takes me to the correct line. More just curious if anyone might
know the cause?

Using fb 4.6 with flex 4.10

Thanks

Posted by Cosma Colanicchia <co...@gmail.com>.
I’d also give it a try using a clean workspace, FB may be caching SWC
information.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Adobe posted a patch for the New Project issue.

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.

Posted by BorekB <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by BorekB <bo...@gmail.com>.
Clicking through to class member takes me to wrong positions also, so the
issue is not just with the classes themselves. Anyway, if the SDK itself
doesn't provide any hints to Flash Builder and it is completely up to the
tool to do the right job, I guess I'll have to live with it. It's not that
big of an issue, just a bit annoying when this happens many times every day.

Thanks guys.

Re: Open declaration (F3, ctrl+click) jumps to wrong location in Flash Builder

Posted by Cosma Colanicchia <co...@gmail.com>.
However this only happens jumping to the class declaration itself.. jumping
to methods and member variables, the cursor goes to the correct position
using newest SDKs.

Also, tried to remove the asdocs from LayoutBase and repeating the
operation, and it tries to jump to the same line/col (finding some other
text). But the methods and variables jumps still works, finding the correct
position even on the modified file.

Thus Alex is right, the debug info in SWCs may be only used for debugging
sessions, and Flash Builder takes care of the code navigation. Just
something is strange when jumping to class definition (not a real issue in
my opinion).

Posted by Cosma Colanicchia <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Cosma Colanicchia <co...@gmail.com>.
Do you have other flex projects open, maybe using different versions of the
SDK? I noticed that, sometimes, Flash Builder open the source file from the
wrong SDK. If this is the case, you should also note that the path of the
source file opened is not from the correct SDK folder for the project.

Posted by BorekB <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
FlashBuilder should be using the source attachment information in the SDK.
 If you go to Project -> Properties -> Build Path and look at the Library
Paths, you can expand the SWCs and see where they think their source is
coming from.  If you have a mismatch of SDK version to the source then it
can be off by several lines.