Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com> on 2013/09/25 01:15:07 UTC

Fwd: piling on

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>
Subject: piling on
Date: July 19, 2006 3:09:17 PM PDT
To: general@incubator.apache.org

I believe that it is a bad idea to allow people to add themselves
to a proposal as committers without first obtaining the consent of
the person(s) making the proposal.  Being a committer in the incubator
is giving a person the right to veto code changes based on whatever
technical reason they deem significant.  We should not hand out that
right like candy to anyone who happens to edit a wiki page.

Podlings must be open to new contributors and should add contributors
to the list of committers fairly quickly, at least when compared to
more established Apache projects.  However, the core team must be
allowed to select other core members based on mutual consensus,
since consensus is how code changes are approved.  How a community
exercises that consensus is one of the primary determinants for
graduation.

In contrast, letting anyone "pile on" to a podling while it is at
the proposal stage is placing an unequal burden on a new podling
that we would never place on a full project.  If the community is
not cohesive, no consensus will be possible and we effectively
hamstring the podling before it is even started.

....Roy