Posted to xmlrpc-dev@ws.apache.org by Michael Shillinger <ms...@lucent.com> on 2004/10/18 21:25:55 UTC

RE: Implementation of "struct" data type in XmlWriter.writeObject(Object)

>On Monday 18 October 2004 18:29, Andrew Evers wrote:
>> The use of these types comes from our desire (and our users desire)
>> to work with Java 1.1, often in Applets in a web browser. This
>> unfortunately means that the more abstract collections framework
>> introduced in 1.2 is not available.
>
>IMHO it would be a good idea to make the next version support the
>collections API (maybe common-collections as well?) and let JDK 1.1
>users (AFAIK, MS-IE users who don't wont to install sun's jdk?) use the
>current 1.2 version. BTW - when will 1.2 stop being a "beta" ?

If you make the writer class definable at runtime, there is no reason
that both cannot be supported. Currently there is support for swapping
out XML parsers. Do the same thing with the XmlWriter.

Simply supply XmlWriter as a the default implementation and make
it easy for others to extend as needed.

Taking this approach will not lock you into any specific
Collection framework. (there will always be someone that
want THEIR collection framework supported ;-) )

I will gladly contribute the code that implements this support.

Mike Shillinger
mshillinger AT lucent Dot Com