Posted to general@gump.apache.org by "BAZLEY, Sebastian" <Se...@london.sema.slb.com> on 2004/01/07 20:01:28 UTC

CVS: .py files seem to be classed as binary ...

Not sure if it matters a great deal, but a lot (all?) of the .py files seem
to be classed as Binary - at least that's what Eclipse tells me when I do a
synchronize ...

S.

Re: .py files seem to be classed as binary ...

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> Not sure if it matters a great deal, but a lot (all?) of the .py files
seem
> to be classed as Binary - at least that's what Eclipse tells me when I do
> synchronize ...

I'm no CVS expert so don't really know what this means. So eclipse sync w/
repo won't do diffs for you, is that it? Seems to work for me. I don't know
if it makes a difference that I added a Python eclipse plugin.
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyeclipse/).

[FWIIW: I think we might have some *.pyc (definitely binary) files in CVS
'cos I filtered them out from view and may have checked them in (by
accident) before I created a .cvsignore. Need to clean those up some time.]

regards,

Adam

Re: CVS: .py files seem to be classed as binary ...

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> > I found a handful of .py files that have been added as text files, but
the
> > vast majority have been added as binary.

I've gone into Eclipse Window/Preferences/Team/File Content and added 'py'
extn as ASCII TEXT.
I've gone into Eclipse Window/Preferences/Team/Ignored Resources and added
'*.pyc'.
[Shame pyeclipse didn't do this for me.]

So, hopefully I won't be such future offender in the same way...

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
Martin wrote:

> I found a handful of .py files that have been added as text files, but the
> vast majority have been added as binary. This is definitely bad. For one
> thing, it causes line ends to get messed up, which in turn can cause diffs
> to go wild. I definitely think we should fix this.

Ok, sounds like somebody who knows a bucket load more than I do about CVS.
I've used Eclipse on W2K to create most of these, including the CVS
add/commit. I suspect the text ones are the original files created by
others, and the non-text ones (the majority now I guess) by me. I can try to
figure out more about Eclipse CVS, but all pointers on how to fix this would
be appreciated.

Sorry for being a GUI weeny (I feel so young again... ;-)

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

--
Martin Cooper