Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/16 20:53:26 UTC

[codec] Release 1.7

Hi All:

FYI: I am thinking about a 1.7 release soon to pick up 3 fixes and one new
feature:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310464&version=12320173

Releasing early, releasing often!

Thoughts?

Gary

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [codec] Release 1.7

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.
On 03/19/2012 08:50 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:

> On (2): Looks good. I committed a couple of tweaks.
>
> Why should we have the almost same impl InflaterIS WRT the limit on the
> size of the input skip param? What if I want to skip in some giant
> multi-gig file (unlikely perhaps)?

Oh, I misunderstood your question, you are right, I was skeptical about
that myself. You are free to remove it.

Thomas

Re: [codec] Release 1.7

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 20, 2012, at 14:42, Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/19/2012 09:22 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Thomas Neidhart
>> <th...@gmail.com>wrote:

>> Committed.
>
> Hi Gary,
>
> thanks for reverting the changes yourself, I couldn't access svn anymore
> the whole evening.
>
> The changes you made to the skip method also look very good, thanks again.

YW!

Gary

Re: [codec] Release 1.7

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.

Re: [codec] Release 1.7

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: [codec] Release 1.7

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.

Re: [codec] Release 1.7

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: [codec] Release 1.7

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.

Re: [codec] Release 1.7

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 5:12 PM, Thomas Neidhart
<th...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 03/18/2012 05:49 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
> >> One additional thing: the fix for the QuotedPrintableCodec changed
> >> (slightly) the behavior of the encoding/decoding. As I have seen in some
> >> other classes, similar changes have been documented in the javadoc of
> >> the affected methods as well (e.g. Base64#encodeBase64String).
> >>
> >> Do you think we should do it also in this case?
> >
> > How would state this in the javadocs. I am now worried about
> > compatibility. Would it better to back out the change?
>
> After some thinking, I believe this change has to wait till 2.0, as it
> would break compatibility.
>
> A string encoded with the changed QuotedPrintableCodec can not be read
> by an application using codec-1.6 or earlier (if it contains a soft line
> break).
>
> Also the decode behaves slightly different (more correct), as it will
> ignore any non-encoded CR/LF character. In prior version these special
> chars were treated like normal chars.

Ok, can you: (1) back out the QuotedPrintableCodec changes and (2) complete
Codec-130?

Thank you,
Gary

Re: [codec] Release 1.7