Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Manuel Mall <mm...@arcus.com.au> on 2004/03/04 01:08:22 UTC

fop-dev used to spread virus

The e-mail to fop-dev below which I received last night contained the Beagle
virus and according to the SMTP headers it was distributed via the Apache
mail server. This seems to indicate that

a) The Apache list server has no virus scanner.

b) As the fop-dev list is by subscription only that a fop-dev member (or an
impersonator) has an infected computer.

Manuel

===============================

Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 09:28:45 -0600
To: fop-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: Notify about using the e-mail account.
From: noreply@apache.org

----------majfmldnfpkyieyerphp

Dear user, the  management  of Apache.org mailing system  wants to  let  you
know  that,

Your  e-mail account  will  be disabled because  of  improper using in  next
three days, if you are still  wishing to use it, please,  resign your
account information.

Please, read the  attach for  further details.

Sincerely,
     The Apache.org team
http://www.apache.org

Re: fop-dev used to spread virus

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Andreas L. Delmelle wrote:
> a) The Apache list server has no virus scanner?

The Apache list server has a virus scanner. It just happend
that there were apparently at least three and more than 7
new variants of Bagle, MyDoom and NetSky released yesterday
within a few hours.

Also, the worms seem to be specifically designed to also get to
subscriber-only lists. This may be a side effect of matching
gathered sender and reciever addresses. Think of the worm
finding saved mails or cached HTML pages of a web archive and
deducing if there's a "To: foo@example.org" and a "From
foo-list@somewhere.com", then foo-list is more likely to open
suspicious attachments if the sender were foo, which unfortunately
also gets mail through to lists.

All lists with some volume I have subscribed to have been
targetted by the worms. This is a novelty. While there had been
worms forwarded to lists by clueless people in the past, this
seems to be the first time a worm managed to get to the
subscription barrier on its own.

J.Pietschmann

RE: fop-dev used to spread virus

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

<snip />
> Please....I'm not implying intent here, or email owner
> capabilities.

Of course not. Sorry, was just a bit annoyed with the logic in the OP.

Cheers,

Andreas

RE: fop-dev used to spread virus

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.
--- "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>
wrote:

> OTOH I seriously doubt there's enough reason to
> assume that the culprit is
> actually among the subscribers. On the contrary, I
> have every bit of
> confidence that every single one of these 430 is
> smart enough to stop the
> spread in their own mailbox.

Please....I'm not implying intent here, or email owner
capabilities.  If any email address is being spoofed
or otherwise somehow copied, the actual owner of that
email address almost definitely has no knowledge of
what's going on.  These things happen.

Glen

RE: fop-dev used to spread virus

Posted by "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_...@pandora.be>.

<snip />

> --- Manuel Mall <mm...@arcus.com.au> wrote:
> > The e-mail to fop-dev below which I received last
> > night contained the Beagle
> > virus and according to the SMTP headers it was
> > distributed via the Apache
> > mail server. This seems to indicate that
> >
> > a) The Apache list server has no virus scanner.

If I may:

a) The Apache list server has no virus scanner? That's unlikely the case. In
the worst case it was maybe offline for half a minute, just enough to allow
*one* malicious message to pass... On some corporate networks that do have a
scanner, usually one or two per user get through anyway, so I guess only one
message isn't that bad after all.

> > b) As the fop-dev list is by subscription only that
> > a fop-dev member (or an impersonator) has an infected computer.

b) (impersonator) Someone is using info from people subscribed to the list
(or from Apache itself) to send infected mails around to as many people as
possible. The bit of data necessary to engage in such actions was most
likely taken from one of the subscribers' computers, that much is true.

OTOH I seriously doubt there's enough reason to assume that the culprit is
actually among the subscribers. On the contrary, I have every bit of
confidence that every single one of these 430 is smart enough to stop the
spread in their own mailbox.

And you?

Cheers,

Andreas

Re: fop-dev used to spread virus

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks, Manuel.  We have about 430 people on FOP-DEV,
last time we checked, so it would be hard to find the
problem account.  Still, sending to infrastructure...
(well, I believe it's called infrastructure @ apache
dot org, I'll be corrected soon otherwise... )

Glen