Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ETANOIL <da...@etanoil.com> on 2007/02/25 19:18:00 UTC

[users@httpd] Localhost contra the outside world

I am running Apache v2.2.2-1.2.x86_64 with default layout of Fedora Core
5 on a 64 bit HP Pavillon machine.
I have a static IP address and my website is placed in /var/www/html,
there are at the moment only 'dead' HTML files.
The DNS for my static IP address is placed at an ISP, Network Solutions.
My development environment is JDeveloper 10g, stand alone application
server OC4J and Oracle Database 10g Express Edition.
Standard path for deployment of my applications is
/home/me/mydocs/jdevfiles/mywork/MyProj/Deployment/deploy/MyProjApplication.ear.
To open MyProj in a browser (FireFox 1.5) I use the web address
http://127.0.0.1:8888/MyProj/faces/index.jsp.
A link to that address in one of my html files in /var/www/html results
in a display of the index.jsp provided I'm
operating on my own machine (localhost). But clicking the link from the
outside Internet world results in an
'cannot display' error.
I'm open to any suggestions how to solve the problem, either with the
existing setup or a new.

Re: [users@httpd] Localhost contra the outside world

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On 2/26/07, ETANOIL <da...@etanoil.com> wrote:
> Eric Covener wrote:
> > On 2/25/07, ETANOIL <da...@etanoil.com> wrote:
> >> http://127.0.0.1:8888/MyProj/faces/index.jsp.
> >> A link to that address in one of my html files in /var/www/html results
> >> in a display of the index.jsp provided I'm
> >> operating on my own machine (localhost). But clicking the link from the
> >> outside Internet world results in an
> >
> > Use an IP address visible to the outside world -- 127.0.0.1 isn't a
> > routable IP address.
> >
> Do you mean that I shall create some sort of alias for
> http://127.0.0.1:8888/MyProj/faces/index.jsp, e.g.
> http://My_Static_IP:8888/MyProj/faces/index.jsp.?

If it's an alias to 127.0.0.1 it's just as useless.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] Localhost contra the outside world