Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by da...@wipro.com on 2011/06/27 11:54:28 UTC

too many open files issue in tomcat

Hi,

I am facing the issue of "too many open files" in the tomcat and not
able to process any request further. Did somebody faced the same problem
and what is the problem and solution for the same.

This issue is creating lot of problem on the production systems and if
somebody has already solved this issue, then provide us the solution.

Regards

Dayakar

www.wipro.com

Re: too many open files issue in tomcat

Posted by Jason Viloria <jn...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 27/06/2011 11:21, dasari.rao@wipro.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Tomcat version is 6.0.29
> > OS is RHEL5.5-1
> > -Xms256m -Xmx768m"
> > No explicit file descriptor configuration its default of OS
> > Not observed the out of memory error but some time found the socket
> > problem
> > Only tomcat is running on the server but communicates with the DB on the
> > other server.
>
> Search the archives / look in the FAQ (I think this in in there).

Just talking from what I have experienced, most of the time I have
encountered this problem is because there is a bottleneck somehwere in the
code. Tomcat process needing to communicate via soap and remote system takes
too long to timeout hence tomcat processes are lying around wasting fd.
Another common issue is DB bottlenecks once again causing tomcat processes
to lay around for too long and as a result don't get freed up fast enough to
further serve clients.  Also you need to see how many connections are coming
in to your system using any network monitoring tool you can put on, it could
really be just that you are reaching fd limit and hence must edit your
ulimits.Hope this helps.

/Jason

Re: too many open files issue in tomcat

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 27/06/2011 11:21, dasari.rao@wipro.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Tomcat version is 6.0.29
> OS is RHEL5.5-1
> -Xms256m -Xmx768m"
> No explicit file descriptor configuration its default of OS
> Not observed the out of memory error but some time found the socket
> problem
> Only tomcat is running on the server but communicates with the DB on the
> other server.

Search the archives / look in the FAQ (I think this in in there).

Mark

Posted by da...@wipro.com.