Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org> on 2003/10/02 06:58:29 UTC

[Vote] Choosing a build/doc gen tool(s) [was: Re: The Forrest Option]

Most of us have given (or at least hinted at) our opinions, so let's give a
show of hands:

Mavenization:
[X] +1 - I am in favor of using Maven for build/dist/test/etc.
[ ] +0 - I agree, but cannot help at this time.
[ ] -0 - I don't agree, but not enough to give a -1.
[ ] -1 - I am not in favor of using Maven for build/dist/test/etc.

Forrestization:
[X] +1 - I am in favor of using Forrest for site generation.
[ ] +0 - I agree, but cannot help at this time.
[ ] -0 - I don't agree, but not enough to give a -1.
[ ] -1 - I am not in favor of using Forrest for site generation.

Other:
[X] - I would like to pursue the Maven-with-Forrest-as-a-plugin idea.

(If I left out any, please add them)

One question I have about all this, (and please forgive me if I missed it in
any of the messages in this thread) how does using either approach affect
the generation of the .tld from our source?

--
James Mitchell
Software Engineer / Struts Evangelist

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
It might be broken, but then again, we aren't using Maven today anyways.
I asked him about it, and he said last he heard it was working, some
people reported it buggy, but since no one was using it, it was staying
in jira until someone could put time into it.  If we moved to Forrest, I
would certainly put time in fixing it and getting it added to Maven's
repository.

Don

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.
I believe the question is not between maven and forrest, but rather
between Anakia/xdoc and forrest.  It is entirely possible to even use all
the report output from Maven and include it in a forrest build of the
website.  Default Maven uses the xdoc plugin.  All forrest would be doing
is replacing it with the Forrst plugin.  You would still be able to get
all the Maven-generated content.

Forrest is not a built tool.  It only replaces xdoc whether we keep Ant or
go to Maven.

Could this vote not be redone?

 Mavenization with xdoc plugin:
 [ ] +1 - I am in favor of using Maven and the xdoc plugin
 [ ] +0 - I agree, but cannot help at this time.
 [ ] -0 - I don't agree, but not enough to give a -1.
 [ ] -1 - I am not in favor of using the xdoc plugin

 Mavenization with the Forrest plugin:
 [ ] +1 - I am in favor of using Forrest instead of xdoc.
 [ ] +0 - I agree, but cannot help at this time.
 [ ] -0 - I don't agree, but not enough to give a -1.
 [ ] -1 - I am not in favor of using Forrest instead of xdoc.

I'm assuming a move to Maven is inevitable?

Don

Re: [Vote] Choosing a build/doc gen tool(s) [was: Re: The Forrest Option]

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.
Steve Raeburn wrote:

>Well Rob has already made a start on adding Maven. I did try building with
>it, but hit a snag downloading the validator jar and I've not had a chance
>to have another look since.

Typically, an request is posted on the developers list requestiong that
a jar be uploaded to
their repository. I'll do that now.

I would like ot see Maven all the way but since this isn't part of core
Struts then I feel I don't
have a real right to vote -1, it's not life or death.

I agree if Don wants to 'roll' their sleeves up and do Forrest then Ok.
If someone want's to roll their sleeves up and do maven than that's good
also.
My guess is that putting the struts docs in Maven/Forrest would take
about the same amount of time.
Menu entries are placed in the navigation.xml file and it flows down
from there.
It could be as easy as copying all the .xml files from doc -> xdoc,
though I believe the
XML element names might have to change.

As far as stability, Maven is very stable. I had been running off the
CVS HEAD for a while.
I believe they are going to come out with RC2 in the next few weeks,
they were talking about this
weekend, but nothing ever happens that quickly. Of course the project
leader Jason is back from
an extended leave so who knows.

Again if there are no Volunteers stepping up for Maven and Don wants to
mover over to Forrest
then +1.

-Rob

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
At 11:04 -0700 10/2/03, Steve Raeburn wrote:
>Well Rob has already made a start on adding Maven. I did try building with
>it, but hit a snag downloading the validator jar and I've not had a chance
>to have another look since.

The snag is that commons-validator-1.1.0.jar is not on the default
(iBiblio) repository.  If you get a copy in your own maven
repository, you'll be fine.  (I just put in a formal request to have
it uploaded, ref:
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=MAVEN-879)

If you have the binary for the jar, you can just drop it in your
local repository (on UNIX systems, that would normally be
~/.maven/repository/commons-logging/jars/ -- not real sure for
Windows.)

In theory, you should be able to check out commons-validator from CVS
and install it using "maven jar:install", but I was having problems
with tests last time I tried (weeks ago).  You could use "maven
-Dmaven.test.failure.ignore=true jar:install" instead.

Once that's installed, maven java:compile works file for the current
CVS repository of Struts.  Yesterday I had trouble with "maven site".

I'm hoping to provide some energy to help Rob, but I'm on a deadline
this week and next.  I actually don't have much Maven experience on
something as large as this -- Rob is forging out into the new Maven
"multiproject" plugin, which I hope to learn about but haven't yet...

It's still premature to drop the Ant build, but Maven is ready for
use, say if you want to use it to set up an IDE project in Eclipse,
JBuilder or IDEA, and like I said, for compiling.  Actually, I'd be
better able to help if people started posting bugs about it...  so
i'd say "dive in!"  It's pretty non-invasive.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com

RE: [Vote] Choosing a build/doc gen tool(s) [was: Re: The Forrest Option]

Posted by Steve Raeburn <sr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steve Raeburn <sr...@apache.org>.
Maven: +1
Forrest: -0
Forrest plug-in: Possibly, but not yet.

I'm more interested in streamlining the build and I don't consider the
website production to be  broken, so Forrest is not a big priority for me.
I'm not saying never, but I see Maven as more of a priority and would rather
wait and see on Forrest.