Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Gregory <de...@yahoo.com> on 2005/07/27 16:03:47 UTC

Rasterization, hardware and performance

Hi,

I am using batik to transcode SVG to relatively high
resolution tiff files.

It take around 10s to do the job on a Pentium III
933Mhz.

I also need to upgrade my hardware and before chosing
a hardware solution I would like to have an idea of
its impact on my batik based application.

I am considering:
- 64bits processor
- and/or a dual processor

Which of this upgrade would have the maximum impact on
performance?

I use Java 1.5 and Linux FC4. I have read on the
mailing list that java doesn't take full advantage of
a dual processor. I am under the impression that it is
not the case anymore with java 1.5.

Any advice welcomed.

Thanks.

Re: Rasterization, hardware and performance

Posted by Gregory <de...@yahoo.com>.
--- Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com> wrote:

> Hi Gregory,
>
> Gregory wrote:
>
> > I am using batik to transcode SVG to relatively
> high
> > resolution tiff files.
> >
> > It take around 10s to do the job on a Pentium III
> > 933Mhz.
> >
> > I also need to upgrade my hardware and before
> chosing
> > a hardware solution I would like to have an idea
> of
> > its impact on my batik based application.
> >
> > I am considering:
> > - 64bits processor
> > - and/or a dual processor
> >
> > Which of this upgrade would have the maximum
> impact on
> > performance?
>
>     I suspect that dual processor will make the
> biggest
> difference.  Unfortunately you will likely need to
> modify
> the current Batik code to make the most of a dual
> processor
> system or else run multiple transcode sessions at
> the
> same time.  BTW are you using the Tiled Tiff
> transcoder
> to generate these high resolution tiff files?

I tried to use the Tiled Tiff transcoder but got weird
results: the output is only a small part of the
expected result, like as if it were only a 'tile'. I
didn't have the time to investigate further and I find
it safer to use the TIFFTranscoder even if I know that
the TileTranscoder would be more efficient in my case.

By the way, excuse me for answering late to your
question, I just didn't have a chance to read my mails
  during the last few days.

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Hi Gregory,

svg to gif

Posted by BEGUE Pierre <pb...@iftechnologies.net>.
hi thomas,

it's possible to generatethe svg to a gif image or not?

if it's possible where can i find the gif encoder or the prnicipal
variable to generate a gif

thanks