Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Amit Surana <am...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/07 10:51:21 UTC

I want to join Felix User community.

Hi All,
I have been using Eclipse and Developing OSGi Plugins for over an year now.
I now want to move a step further and start contributing to OSGi.

I will be really glad to join Felix as a User. It would be great if anyone
around can help me get started.

I have dloaded the Felix Source code too. But I need a small help here. I
want to setup the src code in Eclipse itself.
But the SVN repository shows too many folders. Can you guys tell me which
project should I dload to get Felix src code ? mainly OSGi core framework...

Regards,
अmit सुrana (Amit)

http://blog.suranaamit.com/
http://gmfdoc.suranaamit.com/

Re: I want to join Felix User community.

Posted by David Savage <da...@paremus.com>.
Hi Amit,

So whilst we're in the IP clearance phase we're kinda stuck as whilst
we could do changes over at codecauldron.org I suspect that means we'd
have to do IP clearance again on the changes to get them over to
apache? Possibly someone more familiar with the process could comment
here...

That said you could certainly start looking through the source code
we've contributed which is attached to this issue:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-1142

Find your feet, and mail me offline if you have any queries or
suggestions etc. It's basically a set of PDE projects which I guess
you should be familiar with...

Also not trying to hijack you ;) if you want to look at other felix
stuff, I'm sure there's other work you could do whilst we're waiting
for Sigil to be ported over.

Regards,

Dave

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Amit Surana<am...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> I can indeed provide my services for this project. Please help me get
> started and then assign some small task to test my abilities.
> Later on we can build upon that. I too require little time in setting up
> development environment and understand the project.
>
> If you are okay with it then I think we can take the discussion offline from
> mailing list ? or if we can continue on this list also fine..
>
> I am also familiar with OSGi 4.0 specification.
>
> Regards,
> अmit सुrana (Amit)
>
> http://blog.suranaamit.com/
> http://gmfdoc.suranaamit.com/
>

> On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 4:23 PM, David Savage <da...@paremus.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Amit,
>>
>> If you have eclipse plugin experience it would be great to have your help
>> on the Sigil project.
>>
>> We're currently going through IP clearance at felix so it's not currently
>> part of the felix svn. But if you want to see what it's about you can go to
>> http://sigil.codecauldron.org.
>>
>> There's lots of UI/extensibility things I'd like to tackle when we get up
>> and running again, mostly development focussed which may be of interest
>> depending on your background etc.
>>
>> Would also be great to reach out an olive branch to PDE, see if we can
>> share some API level stuff at least so this would be more architectural
>> style work initially.
>>
>> Maybe of interest anyway...
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Dave
>>

>> On 7 Jun 2009, at 11:20, Amit Surana <am...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Thanks Filippo.
>>> I never knew this maven option. Any pointers on how one can start
>>> contributing?
>>>
>>> My Expertise Level:
>>> - Developing OSGi bundles.
>>> - Eclipse Plugin Development
>>> - Have played with Eclipse's Equinox Source code.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> अmit सुrana (Amit)
>>>
>>> http://blog.suranaamit.com/
>>> http://gmfdoc.suranaamit.com/
>>>

>>> On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Filippo Diotalevi <
>>> filippo.diotalevi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>  On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Amit Surana<am...@gmail.com>

Paremus Limited. Registered in England. Registration No. 4181472

Registered Office: 22-24 Broad Street, Wokingham, Berks RG40 1BA

Postal Address: 107-111 Fleet Street, London, EC4A 2AB

The information transmitted is intended only for the person(s) or
is prohibited.

If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete
the material from any computer.

Re: I want to join Felix User community.

Posted by Amit Surana <am...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

Posted by David Savage <da...@paremus.com>.
Hi Amit,

Posted by Clement Escoffier <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

First you should look at http://felix.apache.org/site/integrating-felix-with-eclipse.html

Moreover, Apache Felix is a set of projects:
- the framework project is really the OSGi implementation
- the main project is a lightweight, standalone distribution
containing the framework, a shell, and OBR. IT is "startable" from a
command line.
- then a couple of projects implement the standard services (event
admin, log, config admin)
- finally there are a lot of projects providing tools, frameworks...
for OSGi (not tight to the Felix Framework) like maven-bundle-plugin,
iPOJO, web console ...

Regards,

Clement

Posted by Amit Surana <am...@gmail.com>.