Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael McQuade <m....@sympatico.ca> on 2004/11/24 16:31:20 UTC

Tomcat and Servlets - DESPERATE for help

Hi folks,  I pray someone can tell me something here.....  Im writing an application in Servlets using Tomcat....  Heres my scenario.....

I display a User Login screen,  ID and Password on an HTML form,  user enters data,   the submit button executes the program to verify the Users information....  Obvioulsy if its wrong,  it redisplays the screen,   or correct,  it carries on into the application.....  SO,  if the user info is correct,   it CALLS another program to build and display the users data, menu,  etc......

This all works just fine,  EXCEPT.    when it builds the new User screen,   it is building it BELOW (i.e. same browser page)  as the User Login screen.....  Obviously this User Login screen should be gone,  and I should just see the new results....

Ok,   if the User validation process failed (i.e.  invalid id or password)  my program just redisplays the log in screen,  well,   same happens,  a NEW login screen,  gets bulit below the Original log in screen.....

can ANYONE PLEASSSSSSSSE help me here.....  Does Tomcat need to kill the Servlet session?  to know it needs to refresh the Browser?

This is killing me here, Im desperate to get this resolved so I can move forward with my app,  I thank you all for any help you can give me....
Have a wonderful day, Merry Christmas....

Mike

Re: [OT] Re: Tomcat and Servlets - DESPERATE for help

Posted by Ben Souther <bs...@fwdco.com>.
On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 11:26, Michael McQuade wrote:
> Ben,  I think it is a Tomcat specific subject,   Im just not sure what to do
> about it,  Im thinking theres a variable in Tomcat maybe needs to be set,
> or session refreshed, or something......

If you want to paste the relevant part of your servlet code, I or
someone on the list will look at it but it doesn't sound like a Tomcat
issue to me. There are thousands of apps running under Tomcat that use
form based logins with no trouble.

Have you looked into response.sendRedirect or requestDispatchers for
moving your user to the relevant page after a login?

Re: [OT] Re: Tomcat and Servlets - DESPERATE for help

Posted by Michael McQuade <m....@sympatico.ca>.

Posted by Ben Souther <bs...@fwdco.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Dave Robbins <dr...@drobbins.net>.
kinda sounds like your sending malformed html to the browser
do the "view source" thing in the browser and see what you're sending it

Posted by sven morales <ak...@yahoo.com>.
  May I suggest the usage of Apache Axis tcpmon tool.
This is an applet based tool.  Get hold of axis.jar
and put this on your classpath. Then launch it like so
in the same server as where Tomcat is running:
java -cp axis.jar org.apache.axis.utils.tcpmon 8081
localhost 8080
 This tool basically sits between your browser and
your Tomcat so that you can monitor what is being sent
by your browser and the response from the Tomcat.
Good luck.