Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/19 12:09:55 UTC

[C++] M3 release?

Hi all,

Since the Tuscany C++ M2 release, there's been quite a bit of extra
functionality added to the codebase, so perhaps we should start
thinking about an M3 release?

Things added:
 - REST service & reference binding
 - Support for multi-threaded environments
 - Support for Apache HTTPD (both for REST and Axis2 ws service bindings)
 - Removal of componentType side-file requirement for Python components
 - SDO support in Python components
 - Named-argument support for REST references, Python and C++ components
 - Samples that show use of above functionality
 - 'Real-world' samples showing calls to externally available services
 - Mac OSX port (not sure if this is complete?)
 - Various SDO fixes/improvements

Things being worked on:
 - PHP extension being brought up to Ruby/Python level with support
for the PHP SCA_SDO extension [1] (Simon)
 - Upgrading to Axis2C 0.96 (Andy)
 - A "Web 2.0" sample (Andy - see post later today)

This covers most of the items discussed in the "where next" thread we
did after M2 [2]

Things to do:
 - Appoint a Release Manager (volunteers?)
 - Prioritise Jiras.
 - Update/improve docs
 - Further SCA fixes/functionality?
 - Further SDO fixes/functionality?
 - More samples?

Here's another question: Should we change the name of Tuscany C++? The
"other half" of Tuscany don't append "Java" to their releases and now
we have decent support for C++, Python, Ruby and (soon) PHP, calling
it Tuscany C++ perhaps misleads users into thinking it's only for
people who know/use C++. Someone suggested the name "Multi-language",
but seeing as Tuscany Java supports Javascript, Groovy, Ruby, Spring,
etc this would perhaps also be misleading. Any good ideas? Perhaps a
non-technical name should be used (we could carry on the
wine-association - Rioja anyone? Or maybe something different -
Chianina? [3]).

Cheers

Andy

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org/msg13103.html
[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org/msg10515.html
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuscany#Economy

Re: [C++] M3 release?

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Pete as RM from me as well.

    ...ant

Re: [C++] M3 release?

Posted by Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com>.

Re: [C++] M3 release?

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Re: [C++] M3 release?

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.
On 26/01/07, Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/20/07, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> wrote:
> > [snip]
> > Pete Robbins wrote:

> bindings)
> components
> components
> > >

> > > Not complete. SDO is fine but I need to do some more work on SCA. I've
> > > been
> > > having trouble getting Ruby to load our extension. Also, Axis2C does
> not
> > > support MacOS so I need to partition the build to only include
> non-Axis
> > > samples.
> > >

> > The spec collaboration has agreed to remove the requirement that an SCA
> > runtime MUST provide support for the Web Service binding (see
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-984). So we can completely
> > omit the WS binding extension and the WS binding based samples on MacOS
> > for now.
> >
> > > When we get this working the source release will be the same as Linux.
> > > Should we deliver a MacOS binary?
> > >

> > +1. If it's not too much work (I assume the binary distribution will be
> > very similar to the Linux one) that will be great!
> >
> > --
> > Jean-Sebastien

> We've had no volunteers for the release manager job - I'm happy to do
> it again if people want me to! I haven't access to a Mac OSX box, so
> someone else will have to build/test a binary distro if we're doing
> one.
>
> Cheers
> Andy

I'll volunteer for RM as you did it last time... if you like? Either way I'm
happy to build/test on Mac OS X.

Cheers,

--
Pete

Re: [C++] M3 release?

Posted by Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com>.

Re: [C++] M3 release?

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
[snip]

Re: [C++] M3 release?

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Re: [C++] M3 release?

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.
How about [language extension: PHP, Python, Ruby] release.
Name is long, but gets the message across about what this release is
offering.

Re: [C++] M3 release?

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.