Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by "Alexander N. Moibenko" <mo...@fnal.gov> on 2016/02/23 16:11:06 UTC

autneticated message size restricted to 65535

Hello,
I recently found that authenticated message size (GSSAPI in my case) is
restricted to 65535.
In cyrus-sasl there also is a restriction. According to gssapi.c it is
0xFFFFFF=16777215.
In qpid SaslFactory.cpp it is hard-coded to secprops.maxbufsize = 65535;
There are also some places where maxFrameSize is set to
65535. What does this mean? I know that there is a restriction on UDP
message size, which is 64KB, but why there is a restriction to
authenticated TCP/IP qpid message? There is not restriction to
non-authenticated message though.
I wonder why it is set to such value and can anything else be done to
safely increase this size not re-compiling the code?
Thanks,
Alexander.

Re: autneticated message size restricted to 65535

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 23/02/16 15:11, Alexander N. Moibenko wrote:
> Hello,
> I recently found that authenticated message size (GSSAPI in my case) is
> restricted to 65535.
> In cyrus-sasl there also is a restriction. According to gssapi.c it is
> 0xFFFFFF=16777215.
> In qpid SaslFactory.cpp it is hard-coded to secprops.maxbufsize = 65535;
> There are also some places where maxFrameSize is set to
> 65535. What does this mean? I know that there is a restriction on UDP
> message size, which is 64KB, but why there is a restriction to
> authenticated TCP/IP qpid message? There is not restriction to
> non-authenticated message though.
> I wonder why it is set to such value and can anything else be done to
> safely increase this size not re-compiling the code?

AMQP 0-10 frames have their size encoded as a 16 bit value, hence the
maximum size for a frame using that protocol is 65535 bytes. However you
can construct messages with body sizes larger than that by having
multiple frames for the same message.