Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Vincent Tence <vt...@sympatico.ca> on 2002/11/20 19:11:20 UTC

Re: [User Community Action Required] Re: Pete ousted?

Hi all,

Following is the humble opinion of an Avalon fan who has been
using the framework, ECM, logkit and many components in commercial
applications for 1+ year.

It seems rather strange - and for sure it worries me as a user - to see
somebody who has contributed so much to the Avalon project as a whole being
suspended this way.

I am not a statistics expert, but I guess Pete's name is on more than 50% of
the code I use. I do know that all committers - and users who are supplying
patches - are putting great efforts into this project, but I feel like
without Pete's contribution, it not quite the same. So what should I expect
as a user? Is the priority still to get Avalon to the higher levels? I don't
want to believe that this codebase I have been relying on (and hopefully
will continue to) will loose its greatest contributors and with them, its
momemtum. Some explanations to the user base would be welcome.

I have always been very impressed by the quality of the individuals working
on Avalon and the quality of the work they produced. This is definitely a
great asset for the project. I also do believe that exploring different paths and
confronting ideas is the way to go. I hope people are participating to
this project to have fun and because they believe Avalon is great. But what I have
seen on the list for several weeks is rather scary and don't encourage people to get involved,
which is a shame. Even worse if it goes to the point where people get kicked out ...

I can also imagine the effect it has on potential new users. As somebody pointed out recently,
the web site still indicates that some refactoring is taking place, so you end up looking at
the mailing list and find out that it's not code but team refactoring happening :-(
This is not the kind of statibility users will look for.

So please let Peter be in again and all keep up with the good work.

Cheers,
Vincent

Posted by Vincent Tence <vt...@sympatico.ca>.
My system clock is causing me trouble. I am re-posting with the correct
time. Sorry about that.

Cheers,
Vincent