Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Bruce Vining <bv...@securedigitalsolutions.biz> on 2011/10/29 02:37:06 UTC

svnlook issue

Associates,

I have been using Subversion flawlessly (and happily) now for the past 6
months but performed the latest update via the Web Interface (Collabnet
Subversion Edge) and now I have hell to pay.

For the past 6 months I have been successfully using the post-commit bash
script in the /hooks subfolder located under my SVN repositories to call a
perl script commit-email.pl.  I am not sure if you are familiar with this
specific perl script, but it will email source changes to designated users
upon change commit events in SVN.  Post-update, I immediately began getting
errors on the parameter list submitted to the svnlook command in said perl
script and discovered that with the new update "rev" has been replaced with
"-r" as a valid parameter identifier for this command.  I had replaced all
occurrences and this action corrected respective problem being reported.

Now, to the next issue, when using the following command:

            ./svnlook info ats-mysqlbu -r 4

I am getting an error as follows:

svnlook: E000002: Can't open file 'ats-mysqlbu/format': No such file or
directory

Where ats-mysqlbu is a repository that I created a few months back.  In fact
I am seeing an error which shows the "/format" string being appended to my
repository name in every case where I use the svnlook command.  As I said
before this command has worked flawlessly up to today, when I performed the
update.

Any advice you could provide in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Bruce Vining - Sr. Member IEEE, VCP, CCSP, CCNA, MCSE

Owner, Senior Systems Engineer, Secure Digital Solutions

bvining@securedigitalsolutions.biz

Office: (205) 467-2101

Cell:      (205) 821-8765

SDS_logo

http://www. securedigitalsolutions.biz

RE: svnlook issue

Posted by Bruce Vining <bv...@securedigitalsolutions.biz>.
Ryan,

First of all, let me offer my sincerest gratitude.  Your latest email made
very clear the "error of my ways".  I thought the /format folder lived in
the source folder with the /trunk, /branches, /tag folders.  You now cleared
it up for me that the /format folder lives under the repository on the SVN
server.  This also brings into focus other postings I found while surfing
Google for the /format issue I was experiencing.  As directed by the other
postings, I set the permissions on the /format folder (for all my
repositories) to RW for all mod levels and it corrected the problem.

Again, much thanks for the immediacy of your response and clearing up the
issue for me.

I do perform syncing across servers and am now getting the following:

"svnsync: warning: W200007: Target server does not support atomic revision
property edits; consider upgrading it to 1.7 or using an external locking
program"

I will work this, it is apparent that the versioning does not agree now
between my updated local master-sync SVN server and the original remote
slave-sync SVN server.

Thanks again for all your help.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Re: svnlook issue

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Oct 28, 2011, at 19:37, Bruce Vining wrote:

> I have been using Subversion flawlessly (and happily) now for the past 6 months but performed the latest update via the Web Interface (Collabnet Subversion Edge) and now I have hell to pay.
>
> For the past 6 months I have been successfully using the post-commit bash script in the /hooks subfolder located under my SVN repositories to call a perl script commit-email.pl.  I am not sure if you are familiar with this specific perl script, but it will email source changes to designated users upon change commit events in SVN.  Post-update, I immediately began getting errors on the parameter list submitted to the svnlook command in said perl script and discovered that with the new update “rev” has been replaced with “–r” as a valid parameter identifier for this command.  I had replaced all occurrences and this action corrected respective problem being reported.
>
> Now, to the next issue, when using the following command:
>
>             ./svnlook info ats-mysqlbu -r 4
>
> I am getting an error as follows:
>
> svnlook: E000002: Can't open file 'ats-mysqlbu/format': No such file or directory
>
> Where ats-mysqlbu is a repository that I created a few months back.  In fact I am seeing an error which shows the “/format” string being appended to my repository name in every case where I use the svnlook command.  As I said before this command has worked flawlessly up to today, when I performed the update.

All I can say is...

* Yes, you use "-r X" to look at revision X. I don't know where "rev" came from but it must be a very old syntax that predates my involvement with the project (which began in 2004).

* Yes, svnlook looks for a format file inside your repository. My repository directories all contain that file. Don't yours?

* The commit-email.pl script was deprecated years ago; the replacement is mailer.py:
  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/tools/hook-scripts/mailer/