Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/23 06:26:22 UTC

Re: [ApacheDS] Moving to JDK 5.0

Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We intend in the next release to move to jdk 5.0 without backward
> compatability with JDK 1.4.  This was a hard decision to make but some
> features in jdk 5.0 are required for us to make ApacheDS LDAPv3 compatable.
>
> Namely we are going to be using jdk 5.0 features for SASL support.
> We have drawn up a roadmap to reach a 1.0 release for ApacheDS by March
> of 2006.  By that time we suspect the jdk 5.0 to be the standard JDK in
> production.  Here's the roadmap btw:
>
> http://docs.safehaus.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=2394

I've been looking forward to this for a while now.  1.5 has been out for
over a year and given how much more time we need to complete the
roadmap, let alone any sort of enterprise adoption, it makes perfect
sense to take advantage of many of the features in 1.5.  In addition to
SASL, we already require 1.5 for SSL in MINA and I, for one, would like
to use some of the new concurrent collections and crypto.

Enrique