Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Rui Cruz <in...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/25 23:35:27 UTC

Spark components with Material Design

Hi guys,

I know all recent efforts are going to flexjs and I really appreciate it and
looking forward to put my hands on it. But in the meanwhile, I still
currently make heavy use of flex and spark components for web and desktop
apps and I believe in the near future will continue... Feeling the need for
more attractive UI and loving the concept behind material design, I've
created some custom components / skins with spark based components. I'm
writing this post to share them with all of you, and I hope to get help and
pull requests from the community.

I know its not hardware accelerated, but runs really smooth and as expected
with all animations.

At this stage it have only few components, but I intend to add them all and
compile a lib with a custom namespace. The components had to be extended to
override focus management and custom skin states..

Note: Not optimized for mobile yet, but I believe mobile apps are being
developed with starling..

Hope folks that still using flex / spark enjoy it!

Regards,
Rui

Re: Spark components with Material Design

Posted by Rui Cruz <in...@gmail.com>.
I didn't copy code... (if material design was somehow spark based, maybe I
could try to copy something.. :D).

So, a comment after the header sounds great.

Thank you

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 12:17 PM, Rui Cruz <in...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> The principles behind the skin are the guidelines of material design:
> https://www.google.com/design/spec/material-design/
>
> also the font embedded is Roboto:
> https://www.google.com/design/spec/resources/roboto-noto-fonts.html
>
> Those are the references, not code just one font and guidelines.
>
> The email for sending the clas is hidden.
>
> Regards

The Roboto fonts are already mentioned in our Apache Flex SDK License[1]
 We use it for the Android 4.x+ skins.  So no need to add another note
about them.

Thanks,
Om

[1] https://github.com/apache/flex-sdk/blob/develop/LICENSE#L252

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Hi Rui,

Posted by Rui Cruz <in...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alex,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> 1) I'll add the the "Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF)"
> comment block on every files with the google material reference like this:

IMO no need to add the CC-BY to the header it can be added to LICENSE but we can help you with after after you donate the code.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Spark components with Material Design

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Hi Rui,

On 3/22/16, 9:18 AM, "Rui Cruz" <in...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Thank you for the clarification Alex,
>
>1) I'll add the the "Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF)"
>comment block on every files with the google material reference like this:
>
>//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
>//////
>//
>//  Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
>//  contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
>//  this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership.
>//  The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version
>2.0
>//  (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
>//  the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
>//
>//      http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
>//
>//  Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
>//  distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
>//  WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or
>implied.
>//  See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
>//  limitations under the License.
>//
>//
>//  This product bundles Google Material fonts and icons available under a
>//  CC-BY-4.0 license.
>//  For details, see <src\spark\material\assets\fonts\Roboto.swf>.  Source
>//  for these fonts and icons are available at:
>//  https://github.com/google/material-design-icons
>//
>//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
>//////

What is a "reference"?  If it is just a link back to the original, then I
would say that Google's license doesn't need to be mentioned.  AIUI, a
source header is meant to describe the licensing of the actual contents of
the file.  If there are no lines in the file copied from Google, then
there is no requirement to provide attribution in the header.

IMO, the top-level LICENSE file is the place to put the above.  It
provides a summary of what licenses affect the various files in a set of
files.

>2) I'll provide the signed ccla[2] and ccla[3]. But where do I submit the
>ccla?

All clas get sent to secretary@apache.org.

Thanks,
-Alex

Re: Spark components with Material Design

Posted by Rui Cruz <in...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for the clarification Alex,

1) I'll add the the "Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF)"
comment block on every files with the google material reference like this:

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Rui Cruz <in...@gmail.com>.
This is just a skin.. and I also have full support from my company :)

I think the apache licence on each file would be fine (maybe when I merge
the develop branch is a good time for that).

do I have to reference the material design from google too
(fonts/guidelines/icons)? If yes, can you provide me the text/example
please? (I think its all creative commons)

Kind regards,
Rui

Posted by OK <OK...@edscha.com>.
Alex Harui wrote
> If not, if you would
> change the licensing to Apache License 2.0, and Olaf agrees in this thread
> to re-license his pull requests as Apache License 2.0, I think it might be
> ok to skip the whole Software Grant process and just have you attach the
> sources to a JIRA issue.

I agree with licensing my contributions under Apache License 2.0.

Olaf

Re: Spark components with Material Design

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 3/21/16, 1:07 PM, "Rui Cruz" <in...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Om,
>
>Thanks for asking, Its very kind from you. The code is on github so its
>free and everyone can use it. It would be my pleasure to see this under
>Apache Flex project. Maybe this way gets more people completing it.
>
>A lot of new features are in the develop branch and I'm already using them
>on a company project.
>

>So for me is a GO and I believe Olaf will love this move too :)

Hi Rui,

Did you develop this code on behalf of a company?  If not, if you would

Posted by Rui Cruz <in...@gmail.com>.
Hi Om,

Thanks for asking, Its very kind from you. The code is on github so its
free and everyone can use it. It would be my pleasure to see this under
Apache Flex project. Maybe this way gets more people completing it.

A lot of new features are in the develop branch and I'm already using them
on a company project.

So for me is a GO and I believe Olaf will love this move too :)

P.S - This is far from complete / production ready, my plans was to make a
swc version of the skin, and also a side-project (or branch) where the
logic was coded inside the skin (personally I don't like, but is the only
way to use spark default components, then submit for voting and keep/drop
the swc version). Also mobile components missing.

If there is anything I can do, just say it and I'll try to provide it.

Kind regards,
Rui

Posted by OK <OK...@edscha.com>.
Hi Om,
thanks for your request! The origin author is Rui, I've just contribute some
minor things.
>From my point of view it would be great if this great lib will be part of
the SDK.
I'm very unhappy that I've not yet continue to work on it but I definately
will do and anybody is invited to help ;-)
Currently I've started to create a simple material demo UI with the goal to
show how the material design could make a flex app much more fancy.

Btw from my point of view we'll need the same for FlexJS ;-)

Thanks,
Olaf

Re: Spark components with Material Design

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Rui, Olaf,

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 12:03 AM, Angelo Lazzari <angelo.lazzari@redtulp.com

Posted by Angelo Lazzari <an...@redtulp.com>.
thanks!

Posted by OK <OK...@edscha.com>.
jude wrote

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by OK <OK...@edscha.com>.

Posted by Angelo Lazzari <an...@redtulp.com>.
Hi every one, i just wanted to know if there is some news about the
material spark design lib you spoke about a few months ago. I see probably
we'll have floating button but in the demo i cannot see it

Thank you very much
Angelo

Posted by Rui Cruz <in...@gmail.com>.
Hi Olaf,

Posted by OK <OK...@edscha.com>.

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.
If not I have skins for the flat/raised/floating buttons.  Just let me know if you want me to post an example later on.

-Mark

Posted by "okrueger@edscha.com" <OK...@edscha.com>.

Posted by Rui Cruz <in...@gmail.com>.
Hi Olaf,

I think those are straight forward implementations, just copy the the
buttonskin and remove the label :) about the icon I prefer fxg directly on
skin instead of icon.. Thats because icon method converts to bitmap and
then is not sharp as should be.. About textarea is also a copy from
textinput. Make a pull request and I gladly merge on trunk :)

Thank you for contribute!

Posted by Rui Cruz <in...@gmail.com>.
On the textinput I've created 3 more states because it was more easy to
handle focus animations on the skin. But of course there's always a way to
handle inside the skin. I have good news regarding mobile too with a
contribution of a or merge with other repository. Next week I'm on
vacations but after sun bruises I will get on it..

Kind regards,
Rui

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rui Cruz <in...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.

Posted by Rui Cruz <in...@gmail.com>.
I've never added to much code to the skins, but its indeed a way to do it
without creating new unnecessary components.

The only thing that comes in my mind is the css metadatas.. but we can
always have 4 skins (PrimaryButtonSkin, WarnButtonSkin, etc...)

I've no problems in changing all that if its for the better.

Thank you :)

Posted by Deepak MS <me...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rui,

Posted by Rui Cruz <in...@gmail.com>.
Hi megharajdeepak,

Posted by Deepak MS <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rui Cruz <in...@gmail.com>.
You're welcome!

Posted by "okrueger@edscha.com" <OK...@edscha.com>.

Posted by "rodolpho@essencialcode.com.br" <ro...@essencialcode.com.br>.
Thanks for sharing!

Re: Spark components with Material Design

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Just see it on Google+ publication and I think it looks so cool
I just tweeted it!

Thanks for sharing Om, and great work on iOS-Android mobile skins!  :)

> For some reason, your link did not show in the email (but shows up on
> nabble)
>
> Here it is again: https://github.com/rui-cruz/Spark-Material
>
> Thanks for sharing this with the community.  There is definitely a lot of
> interest in Spark skins - including mobile.  In the last couple of
> releases, we pushed out iOS7/8 and Android 4.x skins with Flex.  Now that
> Android 5 is on the horizon, getting started with Materials skins would be
> great.  And no, Flex does not utilize Starling for mobile apps, everything
> is still done on the GPU.  I havent seen performance issues with this
> approach either.
>
> I have a few things to get out of my way before I can help out with the
> Android - material skins.  I am sure there are others on these lists who
> can help out as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Om
>
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 2:35 PM, Rui Cruz <in...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I know all recent efforts are going to flexjs and I really appreciate it
> > and
> > looking forward to put my hands on it. But in the meanwhile, I still
> > currently make heavy use of flex and spark components for web and desktop
> > apps and I believe in the near future will continue... Feeling the need
> for
> > more attractive UI and loving the concept behind material design, I've
> > created some custom components / skins with spark based components. I'm
> > writing this post to share them with all of you, and I hope to get help
> and
> > pull requests from the community.
> >
> > I know its not hardware accelerated, but runs really smooth and as
> expected
> > with all animations.
> >
> > At this stage it have only few components, but I intend to add them all
> and
> > compile a lib with a custom namespace. The components had to be extended
> > override focus management and custom skin states..
> >
> > Note: Not optimized for mobile yet, but I believe mobile apps are being
> > developed with starling..
> >
> > Hope folks that still using flex / spark enjoy it!
> >
> > Regards,
> > Rui
> >

> > --

Carlos Rovira
Director General
M: +34 607 22 60 05
http://www.codeoscopic.com
http://www.avant2.es

proceda a su destrucción.

oficinas c/ Tres Creus, nº 104, 2-1, 08202 de Sabadell (Barcelona) con la
documentación necesaria.

Re: Spark components with Material Design

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.

Posted by Deepak MS <me...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rui,
Out of curiosity, I tried it out on iPad. It works great! No lags of any
kind(only thing got missed was the font. It picked up system font instead
of embedded one(not a big concern though)). It worked just fine as it did
for web. Looks excellent and the ripple effect is awesome! Just goes to
show boundary-less stuff that flex can achieve. Great job and thank you so
much for sharing.

Cheers!

Posted by SuJin Jeong <tt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.